General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'91 camry- Screeching noise upon turning key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Default '91 camry- Screeching noise upon turning key in ignition

after having my car parked outside for several hours in cold temps (lower than 35 degrees), i noticed a somewhat inconsistent issue that has been coming up:

1. when i turn the key in the ignition, a loud screeching noise is emitted.

so, ill turn the key back to OFF. wait 1 second. turn again, and the car turns over 100% ok.

no performance issues with the car...

2. i also noticed that my "digital clock" seems to be faded/not visible until i start driving for at least 15-20 minutes. is this a sign of battery/alternator/electrical issues?

thanks in advance!!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Are your turning the key to the start position allowing the starter motor to turn the engine over?

Or just turning the key to the ON position?

If turning the key to the start position, does the engine start? If so is this when the screeching noise occurs? If this is the case could be:

Slipping belt that drives various components such as the alternator.

Bad bearing in some components such as the alt, AC clutch, etc, this would cause the drive shaft for that component to seize up causing the drive belt to slip.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Are your turning the key to the start position allowing the starter motor to turn the engine over?

Or just turning the key to the ON position?

If turning the key to the start position, does the engine start? If so is this when the screeching noise occurs? If this is the case could be:

Slipping belt that drives various components such as the alternator.

Bad bearing in some components such as the alt, AC clutch, etc, this would cause the drive shaft for that component to seize up causing the drive belt to slip.
its when i turn the key to the start position. and no the engine doesnt start - it screeches pretty loud so i immediately pull back the key.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Does it sound like a squeal, metallic noise, might has a slight ring? The noise does NOT happen at higher air temps?

Have someone try to start the engine while you listen for the noise inside the engine compartment. Find the starter motor on the engine. If you don't know what your looking for see the photos at the links below.

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/8413/8...STALLATION.htm

These are for slightly different engined but should give you an idea of where to look.

Determine if the noise is coming from the starter motor area. If so if it is coming from the starter solenoid (bolted to the starter motor and has large electrical cables attached to it) or an area behind where the starter motor bolts to the engine (bell housing) or the motor itself.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Does it sound like a squeal, metallic noise, might has a slight ring? The noise does NOT happen at higher air temps?

Have someone try to start the engine while you listen for the noise inside the engine compartment. Find the starter motor on the engine. If you don't know what your looking for see the photos at the links below.

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/8413/8...STALLATION.htm

These are for slightly different engined but should give you an idea of where to look.

Determine if the noise is coming from the starter motor area. If so if it is coming from the starter solenoid (bolted to the starter motor and has large electrical cables attached to it) or an area behind where the starter motor bolts to the engine (bell housing) or the motor itself.
you know what, that sounds exactly what im looking for: i do believe it is the starter solenoid - it is an old car after all, everythings still stock

thanks for the help!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Great!