General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screeching Noise from Front driver side

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Default Screeching Noise from Front driver side

I just replaced the front brakes on my girlfriends 95 Camry due to a sqeaking noise but the noise has come back after one month now. Any ideas on what the squeak could be from. Is there something that needed grease that I overlooked maybe? Thanks for any replies. Newbie here.

Will

Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 PM

de-glaze your rotors. same here. and brake rotors in, or it will keep coming back. or, replace rotors with aftermarket ones, slotted.
and do not use ceramic pads on Toyota rotors.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the input but I am not sure what you mean by de-glaze the rotors. Can you please explain this? I replaced the rotors and pads on the front brakes with autozone replacements.

Will

Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 PM

sure thing. as you use brakes, there's a lot of friction between brake pads and rotor metal itself. some rotors material is ok, some sort of develops a very shiny layer on the very outside rotor surface. that's glaze, just like chocolate glaze on ice cream.
this results in annoying squeal produced by otherwise fine brakes.
you can manually remove that layer, using a power tool of choice.
or, you can remove rotors and have them turned, which de-glaze the surface, but will cost you$$ and there's no real reason to do it.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 PM

here's example of glazed and overheated rotor (no matter what forum says)

Is this rotor glazed? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

pic #2

and here's de-glazing:
Proper method is removing the buttons and getting the rotors bead blasted.

The most popular method is washing the rotors in soap and water or use a cleaner or solvent o remove any residue. I'm partial to acetone over brake cleaner because it doesn't leave a residue and evaporates much faster. For soap and water dawn dish detergent is good at stripping oils. Afterwards scuffing the rotors in an X pattern or small circular motions across the rotor with a 3M abrasive pad. This breaks up any residual brake pad material that has built up on the rotor.

Using a rotor hone to scuff the rotors I hear also works very well but I have never tried it.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks for all of the input. I just checked the back brakes and they are gone. I will replace them this weekend and then have the front rotors turned too. Having rotors turned is free here.