General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 camry done alot.... still need alot

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Default 92 camry done alot.... still need alot

Ok guys so here is the skinny~

I have a 92 4Cyl 2.2L auto camry I bought last yeat. I have done multiple repairs and replacements to the vehicle. The car was recently sitting for almost 8 months in a covered garage with someone monthly starting it up for me but not driving it. I now seem to havetwo related/unrelatednew problems.

I had a problem with having no idle and having to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep from stalling. However, I have since, cleaned my IAC but am now unable to start the vehicle to even check if the problem has been corrected.

I have:
1. replaced the starter (good)
2. tried jumping it prior/after to the new battery
3. Replaced the battery (good)
4. Checked the fuses
5. cleaned battery posts and checked connections
6. power internally to gauges and dome light; but when I turn the key, the clock and radio dies out

No cranking, only minor clicking and i hear the fuel pump while in N but not in P. Most of the other FAQ's entailed driving and stalling or cranking but no starting. It doesnt stall while driving when its running. And it gives no starting attempts what-so-ever when recently shut off or sitting for a day or two. My only other symptom is prior to the starter replacement, it would turn over and run smoothly on the old one, only once in awhile. Now, even with this new starter, nothing.........

Please help me out

Old 03-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 92 camry done alot.... still need alot

To test the fuel pump, find the small box labeled diagnostics on the passengers side near the shock tower. Open the lid and look inside the lid. Jump start the fuel pump by using a piece of electrical wire to jump the FP and B+ (Ign on).

Are you stating the engine no longer cranks over or cranks over but does not start?

If the engine is not cranking use a jumper cables from the pos battery terminal directly to the starter solenoid and neg battery terminal to the starter motor body. To engage the starter run 12V to the starter solenoid relay terminal (the much smaller wire connector). By doing this you bypass all the cars wiring.

Have you checked for ignition spark when cranking. Remove the ign wire going to the coil, hold next to a grounding point and crank the engine.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 PM

Thanks I will try those suggestions.

to clarify, the engine is not cranking what-so-ever. However, if I wait 2-3 days and try it will start and run as if there is no problem. I can let the car run for 5 minutes or 5 hours, but if I turn the vehicle off..... no cranking, no starting, just dead silence for another 2-3 days

Old 03-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

If you have replaced the starter (plus solenoid) and battery then look at the wiring.