General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Camry 2.2 Fast idle & other problems!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Default 93 Camry 2.2 Fast idle & other problems!

Hi all,

I recently bought a 1993 toyota camry 2.2 which had an LPG conversion in 2002. It had a blown valve which I have replaced, along with timing belt, gaskets & filters etc.... the car starts first time and idles smoothly, but at about 1600rpm!! It is also very jumpy when driving and is VERY heavy on petrol (16-18MPG), and wont rev past 5000rpm without growling and dropping revs. I have been told it could be one of a few things: Timing a notch out( I turned the distributer but only dropped to 1300rpm and is still very heavy on fuel!) or IAC valve or ISC valve. Or throttle position sensor!!

I have no Haynes manual and have been at this for nearly 2wks now and cant seem to find any answers? Can anyone provide me with some help? I am no mechanic and I have never done anything even close to how technical this job was but due to lack of funds I took it on myself. I haven't killed my car have I!! I could use some diagrams if anyone has any?!

Also the car tends to steam out the exhaust when hot, I have been told that this is the cat and is very common, but I am not happy with it & the other problems suggest there is something not quite right.

I havent yet tried it on LPG since the repairs as I ran the tank dry due to the fact that I want to change the tank to a smaller one.

Can someone save me from divorce & insanity!?!?![][:-][8D]

Old 02-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 Camry 2.2 Fast idle & other problems!

If high idle speed there could be an issue with the idle up circuits. This being the TPS, A/C amplifier or park/neutral switch.

Also the IAC valve.

Have you tried timing the engine with a timing light. And following Toyota's proceedure, this being to jump the E1 and TE1 terminals in the data link box (small plastic box, engine compartment, bolted to passengers shock tower).

A gas powered engine does not steam when hot, this would normally be an indication of a head gasket coolant leak.

As to MPG, around 26 overall is normal.

But wonder if there is some kind of vacuum leak someplace. The would explain the high idle, and perhaps MPG and limited high speed operation.