General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

93 Camry Removing Window from Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Default 93 Camry Removing Window from Regulator

I have a 93 Camry and the passenger side power window motor is burned out. The window is stuck in the down position, and the bolts attaching it to the regulator arm are behind the door frame. I can't get the window glass to move upward, even by hand. Is there any way to move the window op about 4-6 inches so I can remove the bolts?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM

try removing regulator mounting bolts. not ones to the window, ones to the frame, and lift it up as assembly. if successful, use masking tape and tape window to the door, so that it does not slide down and frees your hands.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM

you sure you can't get to the glass bolts? I had glass stuck up, stuck down, there was always way to get to them. You have door panel insulator removed, right?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:07 PM

I'm sure that I can't get to the glass bolts. I have about a 1/4 in. gap between the glass and the bottom of the inner door frame. Yes, I did take off the door interior and the plastic water guard. The issue is that the window is all the way down. I'll try removing the regulator mounting bolts.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Removing the regulator didn't work. The top bolt won't come out with the glass in the way. Is there any way I can get the cable on the regulator to move by hand?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM

no. that was tried before.
I'd love to see the picture..
You can cut the cable, you know... If you are intending to replace that regulator anyway.
Sorry, somehow it does not make sense.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the front door panel to gain access to the regulator assembly.
  3. Remove the service hole cover.
  4. Lower the regulator until the door glass is in the fully open position.
  5. Remove the two glass channel mount bolts.
| Repair Guides | Interior | Door Glass And Regulator | AutoZone.com

Old 03-31-2012, 03:32 AM

Unless something went wrong with the window and the glass isn't supposed to go down, #4 is inaccurate for my model. Plus there was no service hole cover, just a piece of sheet plastic glued over the service hole, which I removed. I am cutting the cable, but I'm going to wait until I get the new regulator in. The junk yard that said they had one pulled it out of a '90 and it won't fit.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 AM

odd. anywhere I looked, they say to have glass lowered all the way down to have access to glass bolts.
also, what you say about upper regulator bolt somehow does not click, as regulator bolts are OUTSIDE the door panel, and come out, towards you, whilst glass should be BEHIND the regulator, thus not interfering with bolt removal. that's when one pic is worth many posts.
btw, you can also dril holes in door panel, across those infamous glass bolts, to gain access.
yeah, brother, you need pics posted. this is getting more and more mysterious.
new - as new with warranty - regulators off internet are around 60-70 - actually, even less, bucks. why take chances with salvaged ones?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 AM

yeah, it is a mystery

How do you replace the power window regulator on a 1993 Toyota Camry

How To Install Replace Power Window Regulator and Motor Toyota Camry 92-96 1AAuto.com - YouTube

I understand he lifted window up, but there's still no way for glass to cover regulator bolt. hate to say this, but you didn't have some strange custom door job done on that Camry? Or regulator was already replaced by someone and they did some backward engineering to install it, and now you have the fruits of that?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:37 AM

I'll post a pic tomorrow some time. The nut on the regulator bolt can come off, but the bolt its self (attached to the regulator) moves back with the regulator, just as shown in the video which you attached and I already watched before posting here. In the video, if you notice the part of the door frame where the bottom bolt that attaches the regulator to the door is, that part of the frame is what's in front of the bolts that holds the window glass. The video is done by a third party parts manufacturer and they sell the regulator for around $35. The salvage yard I went to sells them for $25. They told me on the phone it was going to be 12, but that was a regulator without motor.

Last edited by 93fixerupper; 04-02-2012 at 12:41 AM.