General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 06:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

97 Camry Window Regulator OEM or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Default 97 Camry Window Regulator OEM or Aftermarket?

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am working on replacing front passenger side window regulator for my in-law's 97 Camry LE V6. I own a few different cars and I do most of maintenance and some repair works for them. However, this is the first Camry that I am working on, so please help.

The old regulator is making some noise when going up. Knowing what had happened and I have already taken the regulator out, I know I will need to source a new regulator. Now should I buy the genuine Toyota OES part or the aftermarket part for this? The cost is not a big issue, but my main concern is the fitment. I don't want to get one, install it then find out there is a problem. I would like to get some feedback from the folks who have done this. What do you think about the parts that you used for this job? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

If my car would replace the regulator and motor together with a name brand aftermarket unit. Toyota parts are first class but aftermarket parts are good enough for this job and not worth the additional $200+ for a Toyota part. A decent brand (not the cheapest part you can find) should bolt right up.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If my car would replace the regulator and motor together with a name brand aftermarket unit. Toyota parts are first class but aftermarket parts are good enough for this job and not worth the additional $200+ for a Toyota part. A decent brand (not the cheapest part you can find) should bolt right up.
Agreed, but I found a low cost OE unit, without motor, on eBay today ($50) shipped, so I went ahead ordered it. The old motor is an OE part and it is still good. I will take it off from the old regulator and put it on the new one. I found out the old regulator was not an OE part, no marking or part number on it. The metal is soft so it is out of shape now. I hope the OE one will last longer. Thanks for responding to my post.