General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Camry - Water leak problems: what to do.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Default 93 Camry - Water leak problems: what to do.

Hi all,

I've a dilemma with a 93 Camry. I recently replaced the thermostat and belts -- unfortunately I didn't check the condition of this vehicle prior to doing the work. But it seems to be leaking in two places rather profusely when the thermostat opens.

I've posted images to give anyone a better idea of where it's leaking. You can view the image of the area affected here:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...cam-disc01.jpg

In this image I've marked three areas.

#1 - this looks like some kind of "weep hole" where it leaks when the thermostat is open.

#2 - Water is leaking from the bottom of this pulley shaft (or so it seems). I assume the water pump is here? I've checked to make sure that this isn't actually coming from someplace else like the thermostat or the pipe that connects to the thermostat housing.

#3 - I'm not entirely sure how to remove this bolt. I assume I put a screwdriver or something in one of the holes on this pulley to hold it in place before I remove it. BUT, do I need to remove this. I don't want to run into any surprises and make more work than I have to for myself.

I took a picture of the read end of the vehicle so you know what it is. It's posted here:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...cam-disc02.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx much,
Tre

Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 AM

Its likely coming form the water pump. Replacing the waterpump is an extensive procedure requiring alot more than just the removal of that bolt. You'll need to remove both front covers, motor mount bracket, and Tbelt (and more) to gain access to the water pump.

JJ