94 camery sound from front driver side tire - Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Red face 94 camery sound from front driver side tire

the sound started a couple days ago. it changes with the speed. was told it could be the cv joint, tire barring, or the spindle. help would be greatly appreciated i dnt no if i should drive my car or not.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

If the noise started suddenly would inspect the tire.

If possible jack up the chassis and rotate the tire. If you can't do this, park the car on a level surface and during the inspection push it to expose the tread and access the side wall.

A tire can pick up a nail or other debris and still remain inflated. Check the tire of signs of tread separation, bulges, etc. Tires can start to come apart.

Check both the tread and sidewall for problems.

If you have a spare tire, rotate the noisy tire out and determine if this makes a change.

If a nail or debris in the tire, the sooner it is repaired (patched) the better as water can get in between the tread plies.

If the tire is starting to come apart due to tread separation, etc. this can be dangerous. Change out the tire ASAP.

A failing CV joint typically makes a popping or clicking noise which shows up when accelerating or making 90 and 180 degree turns (at low speeds). Not typically when driving straight at a constant speed.

A failing wheel bearing typically makes a grinding or growl that increases in sound level with speed until it blends into the other road noise.

Before either of these fail completely they give AMBLE notice (noise, etc) and driving time for repairs to be done.

My guess is something was picked up on the road and is stuck in the tire tread.