General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 camry ABS/Braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Default 94 camry ABS/Braking issue

I have a 94 camry I've only owned for a month and the passenger front ABS engages everytime right before i come to a stop. The ABS light is not on it comes on and clears when u turn the key.Also I just had a CV axle put in a little over a week ago and it's clackin and there s a vibration on that side now. The wheel speed sensor is lined up correctly it was fixed when the axle was done. So any ideas plaese help.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Was this a "rebuilt" axle?

You can check the ABS trouble codes by doing the following:

Find a small plastic box containing wire terminals inside the engine compartment labled "Diagnostic." It may be mounted on one of the strut towers.

Open the lid and connect the Tc and E1 terminals with a section of wire. The layout for the terminals is under the lid.

Turn on the ign switch. If codes are stored the ABS light will begin to flash. The number of flashes determines the code. Example 2 flashes pause, one flash pause = code 21.

If more then one code is stored they will flash out in order from lowest to highest number. The codes will repeat after all of them have been read out.

If no codes are stored the light will flash at a constant steady rate of about 2 flashes per second.

Once the codes are read out post here or do a Google search on the code number(s) such as "Toyota ABS code XX."

Guessing when the work was done the shop screwed up the sensor or wiring.

To check the CV joint make a few right and left hand 90 degree turns at slower speeds. Typically a bad joint will start clicking during the turn or get louder. The bad joint is typically on the opposite side of direction of turn. A bad CV joint can cause vibration.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:44 AM

no it was a brand new axle. the indow for the heel speed sensor was way out of place befor and it was set back in place when the axle was done before in wondering if the sensor's bad. I will try the trick with the wire thx

Old 05-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

If the axle is new check for a slightly bent brake backing plate hitting the brake rotor as it goes around (easy fix).