TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

95 Camry drum Brakes clicking noise while braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Default 95 Camry drum Brakes clicking noise while braking

Hello everyone,

I have a 95 Camry that I just installed brand new drums & shoes. Unfortunately, now the brakes are making a steady clicking noise everytime I apply the brakes. I've tried to adjust the brakes, switched out drums, I even put a couple thousand miles on them to see if it would break in with no luck. Hopefully someone has a solution to this annoying problem. Other than the noise, they are braking fine.

Thank You in advance for any help.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Default clicking noise

Have the same on my passenger side rear drum brake. Other sites say that it may be eccentricity of the drum or a crack in the drum with the clicking sound coming from the brake shoe catching the side of the drum and then releasing. I pulled my drum off but haven't seen any evidence or either. Drums are relatively cheap so I'll buy another and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Hello, I lived with the clicking for awhile and it went away on its own. Definitely has something to do with the drums being out of round. I brought back the drums for replacements and I still had the same results. I even sloped off the ends of the brake shoes figuring maybe they were catching at the edge, still no luck. It was like the shoes and the drums had to break in to seat just right. Sometimes you pay alittle bit more for the dealer parts but it's worth the hassle. I guess if a manufacturer makes a certain amount of drums, the majority might be out of round, so it doesn't make a difference if you get another one like I did (same brand). I would recommend trying a different brand.
Good luck,
Frank

Last edited by flpalla; 10-05-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM

Hi,
I swapped out the drum and the clicking volume decreased but did not entirely go away. The drum did not get as hot either. I have alloy wheels so I can easily reach through and touch the drum when I stop.

As was mentioned in another response, it seems that the brakes have to wear in as well. My next step is to replace the brake shoes which I believe will completely get rid of the clicking.