General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Camry erratic speedo and shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Default 94 Camry erratic speedo and shifting

Hey everyone. I'm new here. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Here's the deal. I have 94 Camry, 186,000miles, 2.2, auto w/overdrive. It all started with erratic shifting, along with an erratic and errant speedometer. I replaced the speed sensor on the transmission. Still had both problems. Then I replaced both #1 and #2 transmission solenoids. From what I can tell this helped. It doesn't erratically shift in and out of gear anymore but when punching it from a full stop it wont down shift to 1st. It just starts out slow and doggy in 2nd. If I am rolling however then it will downshift and take off like it's supposed to. Now the other thing is after driving for a few miles the erratic speedometer comes back. It will kick the cruise off and the cruise light in the dash will flash and then shut off when this happens. It seems to only happen after it warms up. RPM's are reading normal but the speedometer bounces all over the place..

Please help if you can. Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 PM

Have you tried to bring to expert mechanic or any shop?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

What did you replace, trans shift solenoids or trans speed sensor located on top of the differential housing?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM

I have not taken it to an expert mechanic. I live in a rural area so was trying to save money and do it on my own.

I did replace the speed sensor and both shift solenoids. That's where I am now. Still starts out in second and speedo bounces all over while driving.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:43 PM

My speedometer started jumping around, and read lower and lower speed until it finally did not move (died) somewhere between 1,000 miles and 2,000 miles. Note this was a 1993 Camry LE, the information should be valid for 1992 to 1996. Fair possibility this might be useful or other model/years. The value of the Capacitors might or will probably change for other models, makes, etc.

Basically the problem in this case was a 6.8 uF, 25 Volt (one sample explained below) capacitor had gone bad, was reading 21 nF when pulled and tested. I replaced all the capacitors, on this combination meter (that I could easily find) . The two other caps on the speedometer panel had an out of range for ESR. The 100 uF seemed to have leaked also. The 100 uF, and 22 uF did mesaure within tolerance on capacitance.

On the speedometer unit

a_ one qty 100 uF, 25 V, (aluminum?) electrolytic Capacitor (Cap)
b_ one qty 22 uF, 25 V, (aluminum?) electrolytic Cap
c_ one qty one 6.8 uF, 25 V (aluminum?) electrolytic Cap

On the tachometer unit

d_ two qty 10 uF, (aluminum?) electrolytic 25 Volt Cap

On the OEM (I am the orginal owner) speedometer (combination meter) – there were no marking on the 6.8 uF Cap. So this should be taken with a grain of salt. I procured a used combination panel (instrument panel/), and that unmarked cap on my orignal unit was marked as a 6.8 uF. I replaced all the above Caps with a higher voltage rating, typically 65 Volts, and the 6.8 uF with a 10 uF Cap (the tolerance should overlap somewhat) it was the closest one I had in value in stock. All replacements were rate at 105 F, don't think this is of a real concern however, 85 F capacitors one would save a couple of pennies. The replacement capacitors were significantly larger, due to the higher voltage rating; but, on the edge of the Printed Circuit board, so I just bent them over.

I have not tested the speedometer for accuracy; if the speedometer is off by much and I go back in and replace the 10 uF Cap with the orignal 6.8 uF Cap, If I do, I will use non-corrosive (non conductive) Silicone Caulk to “glue” all these Caps to the Printed circuit board for mechanical stability (shake ratttle roll), since I they are larger, and I had to bend them over the edge of the board; but, I really don't think it's necessary, I already have that non-corrosive, non conductive caulk in stock.

The old speedomer does work is working; Again I have yet to verify if the speedometer is correct or tolerable in accuracy.

Note I read some where, perhaps electrolytic capacitors on Wiki, average/usual life of a electrolytic capacitor is 16 years. If you do open this up I would suggest you replace all the capacitors,. Total cost of capacitors (high quality) probably two dollars at most (shipping and handling is the expensive part)

Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Great post, thanks!

Never occurred to recap the speedo but makes sense given other electronics need this due to age.