General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Camry rough idle, please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Question 96 Camry rough idle, please help

So Im new to this whole camry thing. Its my girlfriends car and im trying to help her out, since shes freaking out how much it would cost to fix at a shop. So the problem started one morning, the car would fire up, but after firing up the car would turn off, the only way to keep it running was by holding the gas pedal down. After a few minutes of giving it gas the car would return back to its normal running condition and wouldnt shut off. Two days later it did it again. The car is a 96 camry with a V6. The car is going to be smogged in couple od days, so i was going to change the spark plugs, air cleaner, and out some Lucas gas additive to clean it up. Also I was going to use a OBD II scanner that I have to see if anything is wrong, although there is no check engine light on, hopefully to shed some light on what is wrong. My first thought was it might be the throttle position sensor, or the egr, but i dont want to mess around with any parts not needing replacement, so I was wondering if any one has had this issue, and what was the solution, Thanks for the help!!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:48 AM

It sounds like the engine may not be getting enough fuel for cold starting as your problem only happens when the engine is cold. Once the engine is warm/hot and you turn it off does it start and run ok without giving it gas? Is this an 3VZ-FE V6?