General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 camry start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Default 97 camry start issue

i have been having some problems with my camry. it has come down to the point where it now just wont click when i turn the key and if i keep turning it, the whole dash would just shut off and there will be no noise no lights. but it has a brand new starter in there and the amps from it is good. i have a new battery installed, new spark plugs and wires, i have taken the alternator out to get it tested and it was good. fuel pump is still good. it does have gas in it.

what can it be???

but for some reason when i do jump the car about 90% of the time it will start. even when the dash is out, once i jump it, the dash lights come on and it will most likely start.

if any of you guys out there know what can be wrong, please let me know. i appreciate the help very much and thank you in advance.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

This appears typical of a poor power connection between the battery and starter and cars electrical system.

Have you checked the large battery cables, this being connections at the battery, connection of the battery cable terminals to the cable itself, negative battery cable ground connection to the chassis, the cable running between the engine and chassis.

If you have jumper cables try jumping the negative battery terminal to the starter housing or an area on the engine to act the a ground.

Jump the positive battery terminal to the start motor itself. The starter has a solenoid attached to it. The large red battery cable runs to the solenoid, then a shorter cable runs from the solenoid to the starter motor.

If in doing this,the starter now turns normally, there is problem with the battery cables, connections, etc.