General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

component-level troubleshooting of keyless remote!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Default component-level troubleshooting of keyless remote!?

Hey yall,
My girlfriend owns a 2004 camry that was purchased from a family member. The car came with 2 keyless-entry remotes. One works, the other does not. I thought that the second remote was probably just not programmed to match up to the car yet, so I followed some instructions I found on this site, planning to match both remotes up at the same time. I successfully reprogrammed the working remote, but was unable to get a response from the second one. Obviously, this leads me to believe that the problem is with the remote itself. This leads me to my question: Since I am trying not to spend money, and have no desire to buy another remote, would it be possible to get the electrical schematics for the remote? I do not have much experience working on cars, but I do have plenty of mechanical and especially electrical troubleshooting experience, as I am a military BMET. If someone has these schematics, that would be excellent! The remotes are identical, and are FCC ID: GQ43VT14T. They have three buttons on the front (top to bottom: lock, unlock, trunk), and one button on the back (panic button). I have no problem ripping this thing apart and soldering on it, I just need to know what voltages I should be looking for, etc. THANKS YALL!! =)

Old 01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Have never found a schematic for this item.

Suggest you determine if battery power is actually making to the device, it could be an issue of poor electrical contacts.

A Google search on the FCC ID number will turn up many hits including a few low cost ones on Ebay but no schematics. Try the Toyotanation website, a much large audience.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Default battery power

Battery power seems to be making it to the device. Voltage changes on the contacts of the switches when you press them. I did a google web search and image search for schematics on this item before I posted. Didn't want to waste your time by asking you guys a question with too easy of an answer lol. Anyways, thank you for your help!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Try a search on key FOB failure. There were some electric posts on this, may cause for FOB failures seemed to problems with solder joints.

Perhaps the buttons have intermediate contact (need cleaning). This could cause issues with reprogramming, maybe the computer never recognized the remote due to this.