General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 overheating after new HG

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM

yup, This is great!
I'll for the next update of this.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 PM

well I got the head off and unfortunately I don't see anything wrong. The HG looked ok and I don't see any of the coolant ports being blocked. While I was at it I took a look at the WP and that looks just fine. The bearing is good and it turns freely.
I did find ONE thing while I was taking it apart but decided that it couldn't cause overheating so I continued. The throttle body gasket was put on wrong. There is an air channel there and the gasket partially blocks it. This was not covered... Maybe this will cause the overheating. I can only hope.
Anything anyone think I should look for as I put it back together?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

If you have the timing belt off might remove the water pump. Check the condition of the blades, make sure the impeller is still connected to the drive shaft, check for any plugging of the water pump coolant passages (paper towels, rags, etc).

Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 PM

ALL FIXED! Honestly I'm not even sure what fixed it.
As I said I took it all back apart and here's what I did:
1. New head gasket
2. Made sure to clean and inspect the coolant ports very well.
This included high pressure air cleaning
Also included taking off the water pump to check that port
3. Put in old T-Stat (I don't believe this to be the fix as it overheated with this one in.
4. Fixed throttle body gasket
5. New coolant 50/50 as opposed to 100% and garden hose water
6. Made sure to bleed the coolant system VERY well. There is a bleeder in the back that I took out. I also took out the T-stat and housing and disconnected the upper radiator hose. I poured coolant into the upper radiator hose so it went straight to the engine not the radiator. I did this until it came out of the bleeder in the back. Then I put that back in. I continued until it come out of the water pump. Then I put in the T-stat and housing and hooked up the lower hose. Then I continued to pour into the engine until it came up to the radiator cap. Then I hooked up the upper radiator hose and topped off through the radiator. I'm fairly certain there were not air pockets after that lol. But I did run it up until temp with the cap off just to make sure.

Everything seems great now but I do need to do a valve adjustment. If anyone else is tackling this job make sure to either not take out or keep track of where the valve caps came from. I had some fall out on me when I tipped the head up so I had no idea where then went back to. I had to take them all out to give it a good cleaning and then just put them back in where ever. They all appear the same but they have small shims that make the clearances. Anyway all is well now. If anyone has any questions on a 5FSE head gasket job just let me know lol.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Persistence does pay off!

Great job!