General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 camry v8 shaft linkage help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Default 98 camry v8 shaft linkage help needed!

ok so my girlfriend was driving her 98 camry v6 auto and all of a sudden she was no longer able to shift gears, i came and checked out the car and saw that the shift cable had broken where it attaches to the bracket on the transmission. I tried removing the bracket from the transmission so I could get a closer look but the stud snapped, I have fixed the shift cable but now I need to figure out how to attach the bracket to the transmission with the snapped stud. Has anyone else had this problem? is there a way to remove the stud and replace it? It doesn't have to look pretty it just has to work, any replies would be great! thanks! John

Old 11-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

The shift cable breaking where it attaches to the trans shift arm (bracket?) is common.

You tried to remove the shift arm (bracket?) and the threaded stud on the shaft that goes into the trans housing broke off? If so this is not common.

The shaft attaches to a flat thin plate (a cam) inside the trans. The cam moves the various solenoids in the shift body to select gears. The shaft arm installs from inside the trans, to replace requires dropping the pan but which may require removing the valve body which is more complicated.

If you have the tools might be able to drill a hole where the stud was and tap it, then install a screw. Or find someone with a MIG or TIG welder that can weld.

Assembly the shaft onto arm, then spot weld to the shaft/arm where the hole in the arm meets the shaft (on the face of the arm). The shaft now scrap any way. If wanting to replace the shaft in the future grind off the spot weld from the face of the arm.

When attaching the ground welding cable do so at the arm not trans housing as you don't want current going through the trans.

Suggest also asking at the Toyotanation.com website, more members, more input.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the reply! So I was also thinking that I would try to weld the bracket on but it would be way too hard to weld with the trans in the car and I really don't want to remove it. Instead I was able to grind the bracket down to make it a little bit thinner and I was able to thread a nut onto the stud that holds nicely. It is actually really sturdy and holds up great. So with the shift cable I just used a battery terminal and clamped it onto the shift cable using a small hose clamp, then I just attached it to the lever on the transmission that I fixed and it worked great. I learned this trick from another thread on here

Old 11-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Great fix on the arm, quick and easy! Thanks for posting back on your success.