General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 stalling/ not staying started

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Default 98 stalling/ not staying started

I have a 98 camry 6 cyl and i have been have problems with it staying started off and on for awhile. Ive took it into the toyota dealer once and just so happen when i did it wouldnt do it for them so they had no way to figure out what it was. When i go to start it sometimes is will just die or will run at low RPM and start shaking and sometimes it will not ever stay started after i have been goingfor awhile and come to a stop. It has been doing this off and on for a couple years but usually only last for a day or do and doesnt come back for awhile.

Also i have been having a problem with my cruise control. It only seems to work when it wants to. Kinda seems like it might have something to do with the cold weather. It usually works better then its cold out. I dont know if it has something to do with something constricting and holding a better suction when its cold out but it still never stays on that long when it does work

So if anyone has any ideas or has had any of these problems please let me know what you think or did to fix it..
Thanks Robbie

Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 98 stalling/ not staying started

For engine idle the IAC valve may need cleaning. This valve is responsible for engine idle speed. It is bolted to the throttle body and uses a small electric motor to control bypass air around the throttle valve. For more info do a Google search on Toyota Camry IAC (Intake Air Control valve). There should be threads to show how to clean it.

Often one can take off the engine air intake hose, look into the throttle bore area and see the intake slot for the valve. A throttle cleaner can be spraying into this slot. Do so with the engine running, not too much or the engine will die. As the valve is plastic use only a cleaner that will not damage plastic. Auto parts stores should have this.

As to the cruise control, what does the system do? Is the cruise control light coming on? The system should have a built-in trouble shooting system. The next time the system stops working notice if the light starts blinking for a time. If so, a trouble code is stored in the system.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 PM

alright thanks.

the cruise control does start blinking after it kicks off so i guess i could check that out..I thought bout that but didnt know if they would have a code for it or not...

Old 02-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Open the hood and see if there is a small black plastic box labled "diagonostic" on the passengers side near the shock tower. If so, you can access the cruise control trouble codes via this box and viewing the cruise control light.

If you find the box, post back for details.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Yeah, it definitely sounds like your IAC sensor is gunked up

Check this link on how to clean it:
https://www.camryforums.com/m_3580/m..._/tm.htm#11258

I did this just two weekends ago and the car starts like a champ now. It's amazing what 2-3 quick sprays of gunk cleaner can do!