General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Default ABS retrofit?

I know it'd be kind of a big project, but I read that the 91 and up v20 Camry was available with ABS. I've got a '90 All Track that I'm fixing up. Since this is kind of my dedicated winter car, I thought it'd be nice to have. So, being me, I started wondering about buying and retrofitting a complete 91 ABS system into my car.

I have done ABS deletes before, and I imagine it's mostly the same process in reverse. The challenge may be getting the wheel sensors & hubs that they read. Outside of that, it would just be mounting the pump, computer, running wires, and probably swapping the brake lines under the hood.

Has anyone done this, or seen it done? Or does anyone know of a good aftermarket setup?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Best bet is finding a parts car, then removing ALL items. The 4WD station wagon having an ABS option may be a place to start.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:41 AM

That was kind of my plan, but I wonder what the odds are of finding one to canibalize. I'm probably going to throw a set of Michelin XI3s on it and call it a winter. Unless I get lucky and find a Toyota rarer than mine cheap...

Old 11-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Functional wagons are still popular and of course less were built, so the odds are less.

Check TireRack.com for reviews on tires (and often lower prices).

ABS is not a panacea, it can increase stopping distances on loose material such as snow. If all 4 wheels lock up on ice, the system will react as if the car is stopped and not operate. The best prevention of course is don't over drive the vehicle, which many driving a 4-wheel drive does.

Might investigate if can find and install a limited slip rear differential, as the rear is the open type.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 AM

I completely agree, Joey P. There is no substitute for good driving. It's easy enough to drive with common sense. Slow down in inclement weather, increase you follow distance, actively watch traffic for threats, all that jazz. However, ABS has a couple huge advantages. It allows you to retain your ability to steer in slick situations. It also gives the driver one less thing to process mentally during a panic situation. Like someone skids across in front of you from a cross road, and you have to brake and swerve, if you don't have to think about pumping the brakes, you can devote your entire focus on the swerving.

I honestly don't think anything except studded tires will help you on ice. No amount of high dollar tires, ABS, or any other earthly system can give you traction on ice without digging into it. That is one of those situations that only low speed and "not being in a hurry" will help you with.

Last year, most of the winter, I had a 87 BMW 325e with crappy tires and no ABS and did just fine. And like I said originally, it was more curiosity than anything. I'm going to get some good tires and call it a day. I was planning on seeking out an LSD anyway because, come on, limited slip...