General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Acceleratin Vibrations and Low Power

Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Smile Acceleratin Vibrations and Low Power

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry 4cyl and I drove somewhere and the car ran just fine. I parked for about 10 minutes and started it back up and as soon as I started driving home I noticed that whenever I pushed the gas the car would vibrate and I would have very little power. When I let off the gas the car would idle a little rough but wouldn't vibrate anymore.

I was close to home so made it home and when I got out of the car I did notice a noticeable (but not severe) burning smell but opened my hood and didn't see any smoke.

Just curious if anybody had any ideas? Obviously I need to take it to a mechanic but if it just sounds like a miss-fire or something I can handle changing the spark plugs and/or wires myself. I called my father who I usually rely on but he said water in the gas in the tank but from what I read that's pretty rare. Anyways, Thanks for any input!

Last edited by lrweeks1120; 02-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Bad gas does happen but this doesn't explain the odor. When did you fill up with gas, if right before this problem then there might be some connection.

Poke around in the engine compartment to determine if anything has overheated. Inspect the plug wire and other wiring.

How long did you drive the car? A lot of the engines components are monitored by the computer and over time might cause the check engine light to come on.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:12 PM

sounds like an issue I had when a vacuum hose busted leading to the back of the intake manifold. I had sluggish acceleration and rough idle. Worth a shot to check it out its not a hose that stands out either but all you gotta do is have a look to see if the valve behind the intake manifold is connected or not.