General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Acceleration delay 1995 CAMRY 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Default Acceleration delay 1995 CAMRY 2.2

Hi, Camry 2.2ltr 1995 104.000 miles well maintained.

I have recently sorted out my main problem of the car not climbing hills.
( see Enthusiast Forum ) So it climbs hills well now as it alway has. The problem turned out to be in the TPS area.

But one other puzzeling problem has come to light.
If I accelerate as in say overtaking. It will drop down ok from OD then accelerate to Circa 4K Revs, Then a maybe 3/4 second delay and then go well up to the red line very well. Why the DELAY ?

Also one thing that is confusing me is the SECOND cable from the throttle
flap area to the gearbox ( automatic ) I cant see any setting for this.
I have been confused as some refer to it as the THROTTLE CABLE.
While the main on on the Accelerator as just that. The HAYNES manual does not seem to cover this area,

There are comments of Hard or Soft shifts being set up with this THROTTLE cable. Whats a standard setting for it.
I always thought it was just a "kick down cable. I have only had the Camry 15 years so my eduction is lacking in this area.
Thanks guys

Johnny UK

Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Did you adjust the TSP per the book?

The other cable is the kick down cable.

With the cable is installed check that the throttle valve is fully closed and there is no slack in the inner cable.

At the transmission view the cable. The inner cable has a sleeve swagged onto it, this is a stop.

Make sure the stop extends out from the outer cable 0 to .04 inch.

Adjust cables if not.

Last edited by toyomoho; 03-09-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Default Cable setting HAYNES Handbook.

Hi Joey P.

I am so glad you are around.

There is a little diagram in the Haynes handbook but I could never understand it.
As it shows the 40 thou from the Crimped fixing ON the cable to the outside of the Rubber protection sleeve. Not from the fixed metal bolt section with the 14mm holding adjustment nuts. It never made sense to measure from a Rubber grommet to me. All is more clear now.
This looks like it could be a mistake in the Haynes Camry Manual.

You say did I set the TPS as per the book...It only mentions the 28 thou gap. Is that what you mean or am I missing some thing.
I have at this time not had the TPS removed. It may be a good idea to remove it amd start fron scratch.
Do you think thats where my delay is coming from ?

In passing I went for Gas this morning its now @ US$9.36 a gallon 4.5 ltrs.

As always thanks again

Johnny UK

Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

$9.36 a gallon, if this was the price in the US the economy would be at a total stand still along with all the cars and trucks, wow! It's US$3.53 per a gallon and people are already calling for pumping from the strategic oil reserve. There appears to oil to be had in some places in the country but no means to ship large amounts to the east and west coast refiners. As usual the speculators are driving up the price to make more $$.

As to the cable. The Haynes book is correct. The distance is from the grommet to the end of the swagged sleeve. The sleeve should stick out of the grommet by 0 to 0.040 inch.

Perhaps the adjustment is not that critical, given the grommet could over time compress, etc. The cable would manually force a valve in the trans to move and downshift the trans. There may not be any midway position, just on or off.

The TPS adjustment is supposed to be critical and pain to do.

Have I sent you a file on this engine and trans? If not send a private message with email address.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Default Throttle cable adjustment.

Hi Joey P.

Ok I am back to being a bit confused on this setting.
As you also suggest measuring from a rubber grommet does seem strange engineering.

My situation is if I go with the Haynes Manual setting as to where to measure the 0-0.04 inch ( 40 thou )
The 14mm nut on the main outer part of the cable is nearly off the end.
Even then its not near 40thou. Its like my cable has stretched maybe .5 to .75 inches which is unlikely.
Thats why your first comment on the 40 thou being from the screwed ajusting bar seemed more correct and possible.
I will drop down to Toyota Dealer during the week and just check with one of there engineers. I must admit I dont always get a lot of help there.
The Haynes says check that the Throtle Cable linkage opens all the way.
I am not sure what that means, But thanks again,
There are references on the groups that this cable adjusts the gearbox to
hard or soft changes. I seem to doubt that now.
It opens or shuts a valve, I am sure.. Period.

Again as alway I thank you and will set a time apart during the week to check FULLY the TPS position. Hey it fills in a few hours.

Gas price just went up locally this morning 3 Pence more a litre.
so thats about 13.5p per gallon. That makes it US$9.43

GRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Regular is now up to $3.59, it changes every time I drive by the station. Must keep the attendant busy!

I am stating the adjustment might not be critical enough to warrant removing the boot and measuring from some item that can't flex.

If you send a PM with email address can send a 94 pdf file for the trans. I have a 95 Camry, thus if you need me to check something I can.

Ditto on the Toyota dealer info though sometimes the parts person can provide useful info.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Default UPDATE on delay

Hi JoeyP,

My apoligies not getting back to your earlier.

During the week I checked the TPS indicator as per the book.
The 20 and 28 thou settings worked out as they should.
Checking the Potentiometer side of it for a broken track did not turn any thing up even oin an analoge meter that might have had a faster responce.
So I have put that out of my mind just now as ok.

I have turned my attention to the OXYGEN SENSOR now. But for the life of me I cant find it. I rang toyota, service, they was not able to discuss technical details.
Parts dept looked in the parts placement info and told me the sensor is on the inlet side between the block and the firewall. I cant see that at all.
What would it be doing on the inlet ?

I know how to check this sensor out if I can find it.
I have looked all over the Silencer/Muffler /CAT. But nothing I can identify.
Its a 1995 4 cly 2.2 5fse.
Ideas on position ?

Johnny UK