General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed - Sealing a fixed panoramic sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 03:17 PM
Default Advice needed - Sealing a fixed panoramic sunroof

You folks have been very helpful in the past when working on my Camry, so I hope you don't mind me asking about my 2012 Toyota Venza.

I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts on the following...

I found leaks on both rear sides of my fixed panoramic sunroof and circled them in blue in the photo below. When leaking, the water is always running along the inside frame; i.e., down the A-frame, over the rear tire wells, over the covered floor near the spare tire and into the dead space behind the tire well. Never touches the plastic trim or headliner.

I visited three shops that repair leaking sunroofs and was told:
  1. Do not remove the sunroof because it breaks easily. Just seal it DIY. The caulk sold at Lowe's and Home Depot are no better than mine,
  2. Do not remove the sunroof because it breaks easily. I can seal it with my special caulk and offer you a 90-day warranty, and
  3. Do not remove the sunroof because it breaks easily. I will need to remove the headliner find the leak and seal it from inside and out with an acetic acid-free or a polyurethane sealant.
This is my utility vehicle and I treat it like a truck.

I am thinking about simply running a GE silicone sealant along the orange lines below.

Thoughts, please.

Thanks!

JWKinRVA

Old 08-30-2023, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

The sunroof frame may have a drain hole at each corner leading to a drain hose going down each roof pillar (4 holes, 4 hoses). Make sure the hoses are not plugged.

Old 09-03-2023, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The sunroof frame may have a drain hole at each corner leading to a drain hose going down each roof pillar (4 holes, 4 hoses). Make sure the hoses are not plugged.
The Gen1 Venza does not have drain tubes.

Old 09-03-2023, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

No experience here in sealing car windows.

Sounds good on sealant though. Suspect no one wants to deal with it as they would be on the hook for leaks or its a big job.

Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the joint and Q-tips or such to clean out the gap. Clean it well!

Check into non-corrosive silicone that is not supposed to cause metal corrosion from acidic acid. Commonly available at hardware stores. This is used on home windows with metal frames.

Might do a practice test for cure time as humidity and temp are factors.

Home Depot had an off the shelf product years ago that was in a standard caulking gun tube, acid free and claimed it cured fast enough to not be concerned about rain coming in. Used it on a leaking sky light. Clean the joint well!!!!! Did a double bead to fill the window/frame gap. Tarped the window for a few days to keep out the water. Its been leak free since and no signs of joint degradation. Thought it was 3M product

Old 09-05-2023, 10:50 AM

Thanks!