General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Fuses or Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Default Bad Fuses or Electrical?

I have a late model 1990 Toyota Camry and I believe I have some bad fuses. The interior lights will not come on, and the sunroof wont open either. The windows will roll down most of the time, but sometimes they wont, same goes with the automatic door locks. The odometer and speedometer also doesnt work, but I dont know if that is directly related to the fuses or electrical situation.

Im trying to start with the simpiliest trouble shooting first, but I dont have a diagram of the fuse boxes. I would appreciate any trouble shooting input or advice. And if anyone can tell me where I can find a fuse box diagram I would really appreciate it.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Default RE: Bad Fuses or Electrical?

Look at the wires going between the drivers door and the body. They canget cut on the door panel.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Door locks, windows, sunroof (if switch on door) could be related to the door wiring issues acidmeld states.

Does the speedo/odometer have a cable drive or electronic system?

There are typically fuse boxes in the engine compartment near battery, behind the drivers and passenger side kick panels. ash tray or area behind the dash where your left knee would be.

The Dome fuse would power all interior lights.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info, that should help some. I did find the fuse box under the hood and the one to the left of the brake pedal, but I will have to check the other locations. The main problem I have is that I dont have a manual showing me which fuse is for which component, so I dont know which one is the dome fuse . . .

As for the odometer, I dont know if its electrical or cable, and honestly i wouldnt know how to check. The model is 1990 DLX, if that matters. I would just replace the odometer, but I really dont think its bad, I think its some sort of connection since both the odometer and speedometer doesnt work.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

The fuses should be labeled, either on the fuse box lid or next to the fuse itself.

For the speedo cable find the transmission then the area where the drive axles go inside the differential housing. Look on top of this housing for a cable running out. The cable would be made of metal about 3/8 inch diameter and running into the firewall. This would be the speedometer cable.

If bad, it will effect both the speedo and the odometer as they are linked together.