General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fitting leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Default Brake fitting leak?

I just replaced all four brake hoses on my 92' Camry (LF blew and just replaced the others for piece of mind). After tightening and loosening the steel line fitting/flare nut into the new brake hose several times to get a good tight seat and then spraying with "Brake Clean" to clean, I feel I am still getting a little seepage on all four fittings. In seepage I mean, the first exposed fitting/flare nut tread exposed above the brake hose end will have a slight fluid residue. After 24 hours it's still the same amount of slight residue. The steel brake tube going into the fitting/flare nut is always dry on all four.

Any ideas of what the slight fluid residue is from?

I have loosened and retighten the fitting/flare nut several times and each time get a tweak more of nut rotation. I know this is the trick to get the seats to form tight, especially on stainless lines that I installed on another car.

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

A flared fitting should not leak unless the flare portion of the tube is cracked.

A banjo fitting has two crush washers, you may need to replace these washers to get a good seal. Don't increase the torque beyond recommended, change the washers.