New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2000 Toyota Camry brake pad fitting kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Default 2000 Toyota Camry brake pad fitting kit

I bought a fitting kit for a 2000 Toyota Camry front brake set. The old OEM kit is gone and the new OEM kit does not have a picture of the proper order they are to be set in. Can anyone help? The fitting kit part number is 04947-08030.

There are no parts numbers inscribed on the clips, so I will need an exploded parts diagram with a clear picture of the parts to set them correctly.

I have looked at YouTube and some other sources of information, but the clips shown on the videos seem to be a different design??

Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

The Autozone website may have something on brakes in the site vehicle repair guide section.

The link below may help:

DIY: Camry Complete Front Brake Job (Lots of Pictures) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 AM

Thank you for the links! Unfortunately, neither site gave me what I was looking for. The link to the brake job you sent showed a one 4 piece set of pad supports, but the kit I got from Toyota is a total of 8 pieces - they don't connect the top and bottom supports like they show on the link. And Autozone (which I didn't sign up for before but now it's one more site that has my info!!) had a pretty good help site, but it still didn't give quite good enough info.

I **THINK** I may have figured out the method to their madness though. If Toyota doesn't call me back (I left a message with their secretary for someone to do that) I may just put them on in the order I think is correct...

Again, thank you!

David

Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Can you post a photo of the kit you have with parts showing?

Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 AM

For some reason, it's not seeming to upload the pic.. When I get the thing up, you'll see two sets of 4 clips.. I have them arranged, paired off the way that I think they need to be, but it's a matter of which set is on top, and which set is on the driver/passenger side. I THINK part of the job is to keep the pad sprung towards the front, and the flat side of the clip goes towards the rotor. IF I can get the picture up...

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Toyota Camry brake pad fitting kit-img_20130719_020452_703.jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 04:17 AM

Ok, there it is.. It was just hiding.. So the upper left clip, you can see the flat side I was referring to that I think goes on the rotor side. But driver side or passenger side, inside or outside?? Those are the questions I have..

Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know for sure as the clips are not the same design as show in the manual.

Might post your photo at the Toyotanation.com website in the appropriate year/model section along with the year/engine model of your car and determine if a member there having the same year/engine type of Camry can help.

The kit appears to be for a 4-cylinder engine model. The V6 brake uses a 2 clip per brake side design not 4, with a different torque plate design. The clips designed for one engine model brake with not fit the other engine model brake.

You can try to figure it out by trial and error.

Suggest you orient the clips such that they are the same part design or mirror images of each other.

As you know the clips are of "U" shape design. The top clip "U" will be oriented with the U down while the bottom clip "U" will orient with the U up. The clips mount on the torque plate then the upper and lower tangs of the brake pad slide into the U's of each clip.

2 clips at the top of the torque plate and 2 at the bottom.

Suggest you install a pad into the torque plate then best guess which clip will fit best between the tang of the pad and torque plate. The caliper will need to fit over the torque plate once the clips and pads are installed which may limit the orientation of the clips having the tang that extends out the side.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 AM

Well, we'll see how it goes.... I decided to not wait any longer.. the squealing was killing me! I mirror imaged the clips, lubed the heck out of everything, and I'm crossing the fingers.. I didn't do a test drive yet unless you count the movement out of the garage to park the car. there was no squeaking then, but we'll see how it goes!

Thank you for all your help - I appreciate it!

I'll let you know how it goes in a few days..

David

Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 PM

So far, everything is good... I'm beyond cautiously optimistic and think this will work!