General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camery sputtering problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Default Camery sputtering problem

I have a 1995 toyota Camery that has developed a sputtering problem when you first start it up for the day. It will sputter down the road for a half mile then run like a top the rest of the day. Once the car has worked out this sputtering period, it will start and not sputter the rest of the day. The problem has gotten worse over the last six months and some mornings it wont start at all. The engine is trying to turn over so it isn't a battery or starter problem. It seems to be related to moisture because on the days that it won't start, if I open the hood and let it air out a while, it will then start. My garage has changed the fuel and air filters and this has not helped. I suggested a crack in the distributer cap but he said he doesn't think that's the problem. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thank You!

Old 09-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Default RE: Camery sputtering problem

dirty injectors / fuel lines - are you up for any major tune-ups? how many miles? 4 or 6?

Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 PM

onetohate,
My camery is a 4 cylinder with 200,000 miles. Haven't had a tuneup in a while but like I said the car runs very well(smooth,quiet,and no missing) after the first 1/2-1mile in the morning. On the mornings it doesn't start , I open the hood letting the sun get to it for an hour and then it will start. This makes me think it's a moisture problem. Wouldn't dirty injectors or fuel lines cause the missing to continue all day? I had the throttle body cleaned along with the fuel and air filters changed but problem continues. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll ask my mechanic about the injectors and fuel line. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM
rye

I know my celica has a "cold start injector" which pump's more fuel and air when the car's cold to get better combustion...maybe there's something similar for your situation??

Old 10-01-2007, 02:22 PM

if moisture is the problem. it sounds like the moisture mit be shorting an electrical component....from your story, your igntion system could be the problem..remove the wires, cap , rotor and spark plug, inspect and replace them since you haven't had a tune up in a while. remove the ignition coil cover for the distributor, inspect the coil for cracks..turn the car over with these items apart and see if the coil will short to ground.. replace igntion coil if it does...also check the distributor for internal oil leaks, replace distributor housing if there is...good luck