General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camry 2003 XLE - Passenger Seat Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Default Camry 2003 XLE - Passenger Seat Stuck

Passenger'sside power seat camry 2003 xle 4 cylinder. Moved all way forward and now is not moving back. However, the seat back adjustments are moving fine. The Seat vertical movement is fine too. We've looked under the seat for any stuck coins/objects in the tracks, but no luck. Any clue would be appreciated.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Camry 2003 XLE - Passenger Seat Stuck

Might be the switch of motor. Determine if the motor is getting power (Blue and Blue/Black wires), if not check the switch. The seat should remove with 4 bolts.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 PM

First of all, thanks for taking time in replying. Is there a quick test (visual) that can indicate that the motor is getting power ? When I try the press the switch, I can feel that its produces a sound (as if the motor is trying to engage), but the seat doesn't move. I also mentioned that the seat recliner is working properly, which works off the same switch (I think) and so does the vertical movement (up/down).

Also you mentioned that the seat can be removed ? Is that easily done or should I consider taking it to a body-shop ?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

The seat has one motor for every seat function such as seat slide back and forth, seat up and down, etc. The seat control switch and motors are all powered by the same electrical power source. If one motor is working OK, power is getting to the switch box that controls all the seat motors.

The control box has the switches you control the seat with, one switch per motor. The motors have two power wires, reversing the polarity of the voltage reverses the direction of motor rotation (there is no ground wire). The switch reverses the polarity going to the motor when it pushed in either direction and turns motor power off (disconnects the power) when in the middle position.

Do not think there is any limit switch on travel or some type of engaging clutch for the motor. The motor appears to be constantly geared to whatever track it moves on the seat.

If the motor is making a noise when the switch is moved in either direction, it is getting power. The seat may be stuck and with this the motor is unable to rotate. Might try gentle pushing the seat in the direction it should go when using the switch.

Taking the seat out is a straight forward and easy job, there is one issue though. If the car has side airbags you must take some precautions before working. The airbag would be built into the outside portion of the upper seat. See owners manual.

If you have side airbags you will need to remove power from the airbag system by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and waiting at least 90 seconds before doing any work (the airbag system has a back up power source with a very limited time, less then 90 seconds). Keep the cable disconnected until finished with the job!

If any airbag system wiring is disconnected when the ign is turned ON or ACC a trouble code will be stored and the system will need to be reset before it works.

Before disconnecting the battery make sure the car does not have a radio with theft protection system that uses a code. The radio would have something on the front stating "Theft Protection System" or to this effect. If you have this system and disconnect the power when the code is set (the car owner sets the code), the radio will not work until it is inputted. The owners manual should cover this and if the car has radio theft protection system.

If you look under the front and rear of the seat you should see two parallel seat tracks running for and aft. The seat moves on this track, the ends of the track are bolted to the chassis.

At the end of each track is a bolt holding it to the cars chassis. The end of each track where the bolt is may have a track cover, a plastic trim piece that pops up. Remove the trim piece and the bolt. There are 4 bolts holding the seat on.

Unplug the electrical wiring harness to the seat motors and airbag (if you have side airbags). The seat then lifts out. Have someone help you hold the seat whne you remove the bolts and disconnect the harnesses as the seat can tip.

Once the seat is out find the slide motor and determine what it causing the seat to bind on the track.

Once fixed reconnect the plugs and bolt in the seat. Then reconnect the battery.

If the proceedure is followed there will be no issues with the airbag. It cannot go off, etc if the battery is disonnected and you wait 90 seconds. It should function normally once the power is reconnected (after you have reconnected the harness plug).

Old 08-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Dear Toyomoho,

Thanks for such a detailed explanation. It definitly makes me feel better and puts a lot of things in perspective.

When I say I hear a sound, its not like its really making some sound. Its very bleek, it comes only for a split second, probably indicating that the motor is engaging. I may be wrong in sensing that.

I'd like to dig further on the bad switch theory. It could be that the switch is broken and that needs to be replaced. How easy is it to verify that ? Should I try replacing the switch ? Can that be done without involving the Seat removal. All I am is a bit scared in touching things that I have no experience on. Seat removal is something that I may want to try as a last resort.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Send a private message with email address, I will reply with an attachment with more detailed info.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 PM

atulhi at yahoo dot com