General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camry died on highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Default RE: Camry died on highway

Pump spinning does not necessarily = pressure. But if we assume you have fuel then spark is next. Check for spark to plugs. Remove a plug wire and ground it to the engine (with space), turn the engine overand see if you get a nice blue strong spark. Don't make the gap too big. It's odd the pump would stop spinning at the same time you lostthe camshaft postion sensor. Have you checked that yet?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 PM

I checked spark that first night I got it home. It has spark. Remember the fuel pump only spun up when I attached a wire directly from the battery. There is no power going to the fuel pump otherwise and all the fuses and relays are good, I checked them. So something is preventing the computer from sending a signal to the fuel pump to come on. What if the timing belt broke? Would that cause this type of problem.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:29 AM

When you jump the fuel pump and turn the engine over try feeling the injectors for the click that would tell you they're working.

You also checked the fuel pump relay for the signal voltage and power voltage?

Does yourcar have a fuel pump cut off switch?

Old 09-11-2007, 03:47 PM

First off I would like to thank you Pedro for all of your assistance. I lacked the knowledge to give you enough information to make a proper diagnosis. After I checked the camshaft position sensor and it checked out ok then I knew I had a bigger problem. So I finally had it towed to a local toyota shop (non dealer affiliated) and they diagnosed it was the timing belt had slipped. I watched as they disassembled the front of the engine and sure enough the timing belt was missing about one quarter of its teeth. They replaced the timing belt, 2 timing belt tension rollers, the water pump, the 3 front seals, and the 4 spark plugs. They also flushed the cooling system and replaced the coolant. All of this for $500. I thought it was a great deal. Once again I really appreciate this forum and Pedro did a great job with the little information I was able to provide.