General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Camry LE 08 V6 Cold Start engine tapping

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Default Camry LE 08 V6 Cold Start engine tapping

I had my Camry for only a month, and the engine has already been emitting this audible tapping noise driving right after cold start. As the temperature normalizes between hot and cold, the noise gradually quiets. Is this a problem for any of you 08 Camry V6 owners?

The Toyota service department is telling me that this is "normal". Asking the service guy why this sound never occurred in any past Toyota's, including the Camry's, he replied that the new engine for the Camry 07 and 08 is designed in a way where it will normally emit this tapping noise. This sounds a little too hard to believe. I even drove a Toyota manager's Camry SE 07 V6 and the tapping noise was constant when driving, even after cold start. His car only had 5000 miles. The manager even claims that there is noise from the engine, and he doesn't know why there is. With my mileage at around 2600, I hope I don't develop those problems!

If this is something occurring amongst all the Camry 08s, I would be quite surprised that no one has complained about such noise. I hope some of you can pay close attention to the tapping noise, if there is one.

Thanks, and I hope to hear some responses from you guys.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Default RE: Camry LE 08 V6 Cold Start engine tapping

Ask what kind of lash adjusters this engine has. If they are hydraulic then that may be the problem. Never listen to "Service Advisors", they are more sales people than tech people. Make sure your complaint is documented with a service work order. Changing the oil grade and using synthetic may help.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM

the service guy said something about non-hydraulic when I talked to him, so I'm assuming those are the lash adjusters he was referring to? Sorry, I don't know much about cars.

And about the oil change, the car is only at 2600 miles, so isn't it kinda early to change oil? What is synthetic by the way?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 PM

Well if they're non-hydraulic then I doubt changing oil is going to help, but they may be able to be adjusted. Maybe toyomoho will be more help as he's a Toyo Tech, hopefully he'll answer here. Your Camry may require synthetic oil, I don't know. Check the owners manual. I'd Goggle synthetic oil to learn more than you need to know.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 PM

The engine u are refering to is a 2gr-fe 3.5 liter. no they are not hydraulic. this engine has a flat tappet on top of the valve with a daul over head cam setup so ur cams come in direct contact with the tappets witch open the valves yes some tapping noise is normal also some ticking noise.

all present toyota engine'shave this noise somelouder then outhers.

their are complaints on a daily basis and it is normal.