General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camry lsv/bv leaking..replace with tee?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Default camry lsv/bv leaking..replace with tee?

95 camry wagon...the load sending proportioning brake valve (lsp/bv) is leaking and need to replace it. autozone gives some information about the proportioning valve but it isn't listed as an available part. apparently someone from toyota indicated that it's called a load reducer sensor and it cuts power to the car if facing downhill and that it was defective from the start and toyota replaced them with a tee. advanced auto parts (another after market place) indicates that it has them for the 3.0 and perhaps the 2.2 as well for around 30 bucks. the question first is if it was a sensor and it was leaking then obviously it was some odd kind of sensor that i never seen before. so i would have to go with the valve leaking. I don't know if there is a sensor near that valve area, but the valve is leaking and according to the guy at toyota a tee connection was used in place of. but as i mentioned, advance auto parts says they have it for 30 some bucks. my next question would be that the valve (similar to one in attached pic) is leaking. what do i need to do to replace it a) assuming advance has it, or b) I have to resort to a tee connection? Is there anything else i need to do other than disconnect the lines going to it, remove the valve, replace with valve or tee, perform normal bleed of system and that's it? thanks

Attached Thumbnails camry lsv/bv leaking..replace with tee?-rear-suspension1.jpg  
Old 05-01-2011, 11:02 PM

hmm, that seem to be a major defect there... whats the year and model of that camry?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

The valve is only on the station wagon, assume because the wagon can carry a greater load in the back.

It adjusts rear brake line pressure based on the chassis position, a response to the load. The load shifts the chassis front/back height, more so when braking. The mechanical mechanism linking the valve to the chassis moves the valve to adjust flow brake line pressure.

It appears leaking valves are common.

New replacement valves appear to be available. Cost for a Toyota valve appears to be around $300. Perhaps the valves are cheaper on the aftermarket.

If looking for a valve you want a load-sensing valve for a wagon. All models also have a proportioning valve but this one is fixed, as in there is no mechanical connection to the chassis to adjust the valve position.

There does not appear to be any other type of sensor linked to the valve, purely mechanical. You would remove the part just like any other brake component. Once the new valve is in the brakes will need to be bleed of air.

One issue in removing brake lines is the brake hex fitting where the wrench goes tends to round over if the wrong type of wrench is used. Use a hydraulic fitting wrench. Basically a box wrench with one side cut out to allow access over the pipe. Any tool or auto parts stores should carry them. Make sure you get the right size.

Toyota has a procedure for adjusting the mechanical arm length but this requires installing pressure gauges, weighing the front and rear tires on separate scales, etc.

If you don’t have all the equipment to adjust the mechanical arm length suggest you take detailed measurements before removing the old part, then best as you can adjust the new part to the same measurements. Or try to keep the adjustment spring mechanism intact when replacing the valve so you can just reconnect.

There is a long shaft coming from the valve and attached to the chassis. A nut of the shaft is rotated to adjust what Toyota calls the shaft length A. This is the length of the shift that extends out from the top of the spring (valve side of spring). Initial set length should be 1.02 inches. However you should compare this current spring length.

If you can find a new part, suggest replacing it. Some concerns about braking action when the chassis is shifting.