General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camry started after rebuild, but now won't

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Default Camry started after rebuild, but now won't

I have a 1997 camry. I just rebuilt it with 172,000 miles on it. This was and should be my daily driver. I started the engine after rebuilding it. It did not run. I found a few ground wires that I I needed to connect. After doing this, the car started and ran around the 2000 rpm mark. I started it just a couple of times. I figured that it was an air leak some where. I never let it run long. One time, I thought I would shut it off and start up quickly. This lead to a grinding noise from the starter. After I have worked on the teeth of the starter for a little while, I can no longer get the engine to work. I thought that perhaps in all of this the timing belt jumped. I took of the valve cover and lined the marks up. If it did jump, then the belt jump perfectly to re-align its self. I have spent some time with the injectors trying to make sure there is no leak. I had one once thinking that I might have gotten some dirt near the o ring and the pressure could not build. I tried to start the car again. This time it sputtered and almost started. Looking around, I found that I did not reconnect the injector wires. When I reconnected them, it would not start. I smell some gas, but no obvious leaks. The fuel pump does not prime when the ignition is on, but there is voltage to the pump when the car is being turned over. Also, there is a very nice spark to the plug when it is being turned over. There is a voltage going to the injectors when turning it. I have triple checked the fuses. I am starting to run out of ideas. Being that it ran just fine at 2000 rpms, I am thinking it is something electrical. I even cleaned out the injectors. Can any one tell me of something that I might be missing here? Also, the stupid hayes manual shows a different fuse box than mine. Actually, the internet does as well.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

See Private Message sent to you under Your Notifications, upper right corner of screen.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 PM

Here is part of what I am stuck on. It ran a couple of times. I take out the spark plug and I have spark. After turning it over a few times, you can see the gas spray out of the spark plug hole. So, I have fuel, I have spark. I can't believe the timing is off all of a sudden. Is there any thing that could be throwing the timing completely off thats electrical that perhaps I could have blown? But I can't believe it ran just fine before. Thank you.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you review the info given in the private message. The manual will have specific troubleshooting info.

If you removed the starter did you reconnect or disturb any wiring?

If the car almost started with the injectors not working perhaps the engine is getting too much fuel.

The fuel pump will not run unless the engine is cranking or running.