General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dies after warming up

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by pedro
First thing you need to do is determine is do you have spark after it dies. That would give you some direction. If you're getting a bright blue spark at the plug then you'll need to look at fuel.
Originally Posted by treonn
Do you mean, check the spark plugs to see if they give off a bright blue spark, then yes they are giving that off after the vehicle dies
Originally Posted by treonn
I believe when the spark plug wire got shot, it also took the ignition coil with it,
I'm confused?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 AM

I didnt have a chance to see which spark plug wire was shot because the Toyota Dealership repair-shop was the one who replaced the spark plug wires, and it was only one wire, so I assume it was not both ignition coils that died, and just one, so since I tested spark plug number one ( first to the left looking at front of engine ) I assume that the igition coil where I connect spark plugs 1 and 4 was still good, but I replaced it anyways, and the igition coil where spark plugs 2 and 3 was the one giving me the problems.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 AM

As you found out on engines with multiple coils you need to isolate coil banks to determine if spark to all plugs - happy driving.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 PM

STOP - OK now another problem has risen, the day I fixed it and the day after, went perfectly well because it was slightly cold up here, so I didn't have the ac on drove it for bout a total of 4 hours between 2 days and no problems, but today on Friday I had the ac on and after about 30 minutes the vehicle died once again, after letting it sit for about 10 minutes I tried to restart the vehicle and no luck, left and came back after about 30 minutes and turned off the ac this time while attempting to start, IT STARTED BUT, after about 3-5 minutes of idling it started to rough IDLE then died and I received a check engine light that gave the code " P0401 " for EGR issues. What does the EGR Valve and my Air Conditioning have in common? Think cleaning the EGR Valve could fix the issue, I've heard that sometimes even if you replace it, you still get stuck with the code.

Last edited by treonn; 05-29-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:04 AM

I'd start a new topic.