General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stalling after replacing intake hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 11:30 AM
x.D
Default Car stalling after replacing intake hose

I am working with a 1999 Camry 4 cylinder 2.2l that initially had symptoms of intermittently stalling as well as a shake when put into reverse. I took it over to Autozone to have the fault codes scanned and it came back with code P0172—Fuel system too rich (bank 1).
I checked the hoses to and from the MAF sensor and noticed a hole in the rubber hose which I then replaced. I started the car and now the idle is pulsing. I could hear a loud sound which I noticed was coming from a massive crack in the air intake hose. I assume the intake hose was so fragile that it broke when I was looking around in the engine bay. I didnt hear any air leak from the boot previously. I replaced the air intake hose and started up the car. The idle was more rough at this point and the car would eventually stall. If I give it gas while its running, it just bogs down and dies.
I will be looking into things again when I get home from work but i wanted some ideas of things I should check. Does this sound vacuum leak related? When replacing the intake hose, could I have knocked something else loose? Any ideas of what I should check would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
D

Old 03-29-2022, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Did the engine bog down before the repairs?

What as the engine idle before repairs?

Old 04-11-2022, 08:29 AM

+1 on Joeys idea, if you had a broken intake hose and you replaced it , then you must have a plugged air filter or missing the MAP sensor?
also these Camrys throttle body are notorious for the plugging up , suggest you clean the throttle body and intake idle air control valve (check turbo ninjas camry manual site)