General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car won't start

Old 02-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Default Car won't start

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry, 2.4, standard. I drove my car home with no problems yesterday after work. Turned my car off for 10 minutes. I got back into my car and it won't start. I checked all the fuses and relay's and they all look good. Checked the connections to the battery and starter. Battery is fully charged, tried to jump it. When you turn the key over nothing happens except the accessories come on. It's like it's just dead. No power except for the accessories. Starter don't click, fuel pump don't click on. Tried to push start the car. That didn't work. I'm not sure what to do now. Any help, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

It's just the starter not working, everything else works?

You checked ALL fuses, even the high amp fuses such as AM1 and AM2

Stick shift or auto? Both trans have a safety switch. The switch only allows the engine to turn over when the clutch is pushed in or trans is in Park or Neutral. These can fail. If auto, try starting in Neutral.

The fuel pump isn't going to work unless the engine is cranking over to start or running.

Find the starter. Use a length of wire (can be small diameter) to apply +12v to the SMALL black/red wire going to the starter solenoid on the start. This should apply 12V power the solenoid to engage starter.

If your cleaver and careful. You can jump electrically between the LARGE electrical terminal on the starter having the LARGE black/red and the SMALLER black/red wire terminal.

If the starter engages. With trans in P or N and emergency brake on. Turn on ign and jump starter again to determine if the engine starts.