General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

change in fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 AM
Question change in fuel consumption

Hi all
I have camry 2001 4 cyl.. I had my timing belt changed since 3 weeks. I started to realize that there is increase in fuel consumption. the car sound was a little higher but power is OK, it accelerates normally, no check engine ...
last week it used 54 liter to move 334 km in the city .. (6.17 KM/L=14.5 mpg)

Do you think timing belt has any relation to this high fuel consumtion ? may be misaligned ??
thanks

Old 06-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

If the engine runs and normally, the timing belt should be properly installed.

Different belts can make different belt/pulley noises such as a louder or softer whine which you pick up on.

There is not much to screw up in the area of the engine needed to access and change the belt. However if the MPG is now low, ask the mechanic to check if something was not properly reinstalled.

Issues such as wiring having disconnected or bad connections, ign cam/crank sensor and wiring, disconnected or problem vacuum hoses.

An equipped shop can use a scanner to access engine system performance data and any pending trouble codes. Pending codes are those which have not failed enough self checks to turn on the check light.

Suggest you make certain that the MPG has changed and is now low. The shop my try to put you off by stating you are imagining this and to run more MPG tests. It tougher to do this if you have hard data written down to show them.

Though this car should be getting approx 29 MPG city and hwy with higher MPG for hwy only.

Also check for any changes in fuel uses, such as going to an ethanol blend which will lower MPG.