General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete brake failure??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Default Complete brake failure??

I hoping some one has heard of A problem..
I have a 93 Camry wagon after doing extensive work over the last month
I have done the timing belt and fuel pump,finally got it running good
so my wife was driving with me in the passenger seat,kids in the back..
as we went to stop at the end our drive way ,We lost all brake pressure and the car would not stop.
we rolled into on coming traffic and very nearly got hit by two different cars!!
we were able to do a u turn back into our yard. Any ways i have no front brakes or back brakes, i am leaking brake fluid out of, what appears to be a a splitter? it has some kind of bladder type device attached to the suspension bar
does any one know what this is called? I have never had a car lose all brakes, usually the systems are isolated,to prevent complete brake failure..has anybody ever heard of this...not being dramatic ... we are lucky to be here Thanks for any help you can give me .... Jim

Last edited by Klevurrwon; 06-24-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Rear suspension? If so, there is a load sensing proportional valve (LSPV) mounted on under the rear of the car that modifies the rear braking due to changes in the cars weight. Only the station wagon has this valve, not sedan or coupe.

Have not heard of total brake failure but the valve can leak.

The car has two isolated systems but these are not the front and rear brakes on different systems as one would assume. Rather one front brake and one opposite rear brake on each system. It seems the LSPV may have failed for both brake systems, the result being fluid leakage at the rear and no brakes.

As to repairs. The valve is hard to find and may not be repairable due to lack of parts. An internet search will find hits on this proportioning valve as leakage is a common issue.

The Toyotanation site has some info based on owner issues with leaking valves and may offer a source for a replacement valve. You always try the dealer.

The other issue is any replacement valve needs to be adjusted after installation requiring equipment to measure brake pressure versus angle of car chassis.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the reply yes thats exactly what it is. turns out that both lines in the back let go, the lines going from the valve to hubs, which now explains why no front brakes, both sides failed Thanks for your input Jim....