General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential oil seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Default Differential oil seal leak

Hello all,
It sounds like I found the right place to ask this question.
Recently purchased a '91 Camry base model, 4cyl, FWD, 3SFE w/120k miles for my teens first car. It had been sitting for a a bit of time at a little old lady's house and besides the faded paint, it seems it fairly good condition. I am a basic DIY so I replaced the 4 struts (two completely blown), an oil change, torn rack steering boots, and tie rod ends. CV boots look fine on both sides. No idea if timing belt has been replaced, ever.
One thing I checked while i was under the car was the diff oil (ATF) and it was low and took almost a full quart. I know it doesn't hold much more than 1 1/2 qrts. I now have a "moderate" leak coming from the differential on the drivers side, obviously leaks worse when being driven. I can see it clearly at the diff housing. The pressure valve was gunked up so I pulled and cleaned it and it is fine now, but the leak albeit slightly lessend is still there.
I am now wondering how difficult it is to replace the diff oil seal? I know the half axle must be taken off, but does this absolutely require disconecting the ball joints? How can I tell if this axle is a "snap" on variety as I don't see any bolts holding it onto the diff. Does the center drive shaft have to be removed to get to the seal? What else needs to be considered?
Thanks in advance!

Differential oil seal leak-dscn1611-800x567-800x567-.jpg

Differential oil seal leak-dscn1614-800x600-.jpg

Differential oil seal leak-dscn1615-800x600-.jpg

Old 06-12-2010, 02:18 PM

Ya with that style, you need to undue the balljoint, undue the axle nut then you can swing the rotor and caliper out of your way enough to get the axle out. To get the axle out you can just get a prybar or big screw driver in behind where ti goes into the transmission and you should just be able to pop it out. Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks Blackey.
Have you done a diff seal on these?
Any idea on the center axle?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Im alittle confused with what you mean, when you say dif, do you mean transmission because if its just a front wheel drive it doesnt have a dif. Im also confused on center axle? I have done axle seals b4 though. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM

I guess you're right in as much is this is the auto transaxle oil seal.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Pull the drivers side axle out to expose the seal.

Pry out the old seal and replace with new.

Use caution when reinstalling the axle to avoid damaging the seal. You will need to slam the axle into the diff to get the clip on the end of the splined section of axle to go through the diff carrier. Make sure you have the shaft started (axle splines engaged into the diff) before you slam the shaft home. Otherwise you may damage the seal.