General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Valve and AC make my engine go off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Default EGR Valve and AC make my engine go off?

OK now another problem has risen, the day I fixed it and the day after, went perfectly well because it was slightly cold up here, so I didn't have the ac on drove it for bout a total of 4 hours between 2 days and no problems, but today on Friday I had the ac on and after about 30 minutes the vehicle died once again, after letting it sit for about 10 minutes I tried to restart the vehicle and no luck, left and came back after about 30 minutes and turned off the ac this time while attempting to start, IT STARTED BUT, after about 3-5 minutes of idling it started to rough IDLE then died and I received a check engine light that gave the code " P0401 " for EGR issues. What does the EGR Valve and my Air Conditioning have in common? Think cleaning the EGR Valve could fix the issue, I've heard that sometimes even if you replace it, you still get stuck with the code.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Default EGR Valve and AC make my engine go off

I had an issue like that whenever I turned really hard while idling aka, rolling through a tight turn with my 7M. My best guess was that it was a EGR Intake Vacuum leak that was enough to kill the engine when it was loaded by the power steering. I fixed the EGR leaks and it went away. - John _______=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===

Old 05-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Question Like wtf

UPDATE SATURDAY 5/30 4:09 PM - Cleaned just the EGR valve, pipes and so forth not cleaned, reset check engine light, started my vehicle 2 hours ago, warmed it up, drove around for about 30 minutes, came back into the parking lot, stood there for a good 15 minutes idling, car then started shaking like a tank then died, called a couple Toyota service repair centers and general auto repair shops for some insight and its still not too clear. I started the vehicle again after about 10 minutes and it started with no problems, idling at about 700-800, cranked up the ac full blast and kept my rpms at about 2500-3000 to see if anything happened, after 5 minutes took my pedal off the accelerator and it still idled at about 700-800 with the ac on, let the vehicle idle for about 30 minutes then it shut off, LIKE WTF. It runs, and it doesnt wanna run, WTF IS WRONG~!!!
Im about to chuck it I've spent 1000 dollars in repairs to it, I couldve used that to help down a new vehicle. I didnt think this would become such a god damn hassle.

Any Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 AM

It may still be a sticking or partially open EGR. Why don't you make a blanking off gasket for the EGR that would block any gasses from going to the intake. You will still get a code but it will eliminate the EGR as a possible cause - the codes aren't causing the car to stall. If this works then you may have to replace the EGR.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 AM

so i havent driven the car for about 2-3 weeks now, still problems, but now I got something else that is happening, when I'm driving at higher speeds and I notice this happens when rpm goes 3000+ the car starts to lose power, but when I let go of the accelerator and then wait a second or 2 and then hit the accelerator the car seems to kind of get its power back and it happened about 6-8 times roughly before dying. One more thing I was thinking as a possible issue was the transmission, to tell the truth, I have had the car for about 7 years, and have changed the tranny oil maybe 2 times.....maybe its a transmission issue?