General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Default Engine noise

Gang, I have a problem. 1994 Camry SEV6 1MZ-FE 3.0L. Have a noise which sounds like a bearing ready to go out. Noise is constant and does not change with RPM's. It is almost a 'whirring" sound. Thought it was a pwr steering pump, replaced same. No change. The tech hears it on the (looking at the front of the motor) the left side. When the engine is shut off, I hear it on the right side down by the motor mount (isolator). When the motor is shut off, the sound continues on for just a split second as if something was turning and then stops. In the garage, the acoustics of being inside really make it loud. Timing belt was replaced 40K ago but the idler bearings and tensioner were not replaced. Stethescope does not hear noise in timing area. It sounds internal to me and I do not want to chase this thing to shell out much moolah to repair. Has anybody had this problem? If you need more info, let me know. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Do you hear the noise while driving? If so, does the sound increase with speed?

Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 AM

I cannot hear the noise while driving as common road noises are louder. But with the hood up, I can rev the engine and the noise stays constant. It neither goes up or down or changes is any way. It's just there. Looking at the front of the motor, if I put my head down over the left side, above the timing cover, I hear the noise. My Tech hears it farther to the left for some reason. And, as stated before, I just happened to be standing at the front of the car, (left side of motor) when it was shut off, and the noise sounded like it "spun down". No more than a second of time. Just hoping it is nothing internal to the motor.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Check if radiator fans are running.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Yes, I have one large radiator fan and it is running smoothly. One other tidbit of info I omitted. At "cold" startup, the noise is not there. It starts after the motor is warmed up. Today, while checking the fan, I took it upon myself to chase the noise again. I have located it! Looking at the front of the motor on the left side, there is a wire bundle connected to the plastic upper timing cover. I took my hand and pushed in on the timing cover under where the wire bundle is connected and the noise went away. So, is it the upper timing cover gasket which has deteriorated? Is it normal for that much noise if the timing cover would be removed? I still don't understand why the noise is constant. Should I be concerned about the timing idler bearings and tensioner? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

There is an idler pulley on the upper area of engine located between the two cam pulleys. Cam pulley area is on outer upper area of each of cover, the cover may have a round section in front of each cam pulley.

The timing belt drops down between cam pulleys and runs under an idler pulley. Below this area are two other idler pulleys.

If the noise goes away when pushing on the timing cover then this area needs investigated. If the cover is vibrating when engine on and not hitting the timing belt or a pulley it could make a constant noise.

The timing cover is plastic and designed to keep debris and water out of the timing belt area but not a tight seal such as valve or oil pan. The cover will lower belt noise but not that much as it is thin plastic not is the seal tight.

Investigate the area of the noise.

The upper cover has 2 bolts located between the cam pulleys, 1 bolt on the outside of each cam pulley and 1 on the lower cover area. Make sure all bolts are installed and snug.

The wiring bundle clamp is bolted to the engine on the firewall side, make sure it is.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:33 PM

Have decided to replace idler pulleys, tensioner, belt and gaskets. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Please post back with what you find out.