New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Weird noise from engine and shaking of car engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Unhappy Weird noise from engine and shaking of car engine

Hi I have a 1996 camry with 223000 miles on it I was picking someone up from work a few nights ago and I had my car running with the heater and radio on my car normally shakes but it was making a terible violent whining sound in the engine and I don't know what that could mean the other day I started it up and it made that sound again after it got warmed up
It started in the left side and made it's way to the right
I am going to replace the battery because it's about time to but I was wondering if I should get a tuneup for the car or just running it like it is.
I started to think that maybe the "whining Pitch is ok just don't crap out on me before I get home"
The cars lights dim when I try to put down one of my windows
It stalls once in a while in the middle of traffic while in drive
It's kind of been beat to hell because I live in an area were we get alot of inclement weather snow is the worst
In conclusion if any ideas pop up other than the battery just leave a post going today to replace it
And I was wondering just as a thought if a 2007 Lexus es 350 has any problems I'm going to buy one with the family for the shared vehicle

Last edited by 96camman; 01-16-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Greetings:

As I recall the ES350 was built on the Camry frame having the same V6 (an option on Camry) and trans.

The Toyotanation website would have posts on the 2007 Camry V6 and perhaps even Lexus.

The V6 seems overall a decent engine. It had issues with an oil line going to the variable valve train system leaking oil. The trans as I recall had a few shifting issues.

Toyota has service bulletins on these issues.

As to the problem with the Camry, can you further describe the noise. Is this a squeal, screech, etc like a bearing going out or belt slipping?

Does the noise come and go? Does the car start to shake when the noise starts and stop shaking when the noise stops.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Thumbs up more info

the noise in my engine is a whine that goes from the battery over to the other side of my car and then i think it would be my timing belt that would be whining in and then it seems to almost stall after the sound

when i start out the car shakes and when the engine warms up then the shaking gets a little better but when it shifts it has problems because it catches at high rpms and almost goes into a stall because it drops to the low rpm like 1000. so that is why i am thinking of having a tuneup

there is also a time when i waas running it and the rpm wouldn't go above 2,000 rpm while in the highest gear but then again thats probably age it is 15 years old now so i will look at some other posts

i will be hoping that the engine doesn't quit im thinking of getting the engine bolts looked at to see if that would help the shaking problem because when i go outside my car and it's in park and warmed up it shakes terribly so i will look around and see if other posts will answer the questions i have and will reply when i get to my conclusion

(extremely helpful website for the lexus)

it squeels on the battery side then screeches on the other

Last edited by 96camman; 01-16-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM

what kind of noise is that?maybe its just a loosen screw or some metal crap making the noise...