General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol fuels

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Talking Ethanol fuels

For a 2000 stock-standard auto Camry Conquest, would 10% ethanol Unleaded petrol (ULP) be damaging?

I've been told of possible issues using this:
# If you don't go through tanks in under a month the fuel will become "wet" (not good);
# If there's sludge in the bottom of the tank the Ethanol will dislodge it which can clog fuel pump/fuel filter/injectors...
# On older cars (pre-1997 or thereabouts) anything more than E5 will start to 'eat' fuel lines and rubber fittings.
# It may produce worse distance per tank than standard ULP.

So if anyone else has used this fuel or knows what would happen if I put it in mine, please share!

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM

You should be fine. The owners manual will explain fuel requirements. You will notice a drop in mileage of about 10% though as ethanol contains less energy. I avoid ethanol if I get a choice; one for the mileage loss and the other because it's stupid to waste valuable food production on fuel production.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Cheers Pedro, I agree with the waste of food production, too!
I'll probably leave it since, from what I know and you confirm, there's poorer performance. I'd rather pay more for better performance and distance!