General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Frustrated with P0031 code!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 AM

I sprayed with pb blaster and let it sit over night. Then bought a bigger braker bar and the nuts came right off. I changed out my manifold unit and cars running great ! Thank you both for the help !

Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with your success.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it worked out!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Thank you very much for this forum and specifically greg39 user who helped me solve the problem I was having on my Camry 2003 LE 4 Cyl (2.4 liter engine). First I was not sure if I should use California part or US one as my my car has this written under the hood "This Vehicle Conforms to U.S. EPA NLEV regulations applicable to gasoline-fueled 2003 model year new ULEV passenger cars and to California regulations application to 2003 model year New ULEV passanger cars" so when I took it to AutoZone, they gave me DENSO part 234-9041 which look different than what I have on my Camry (with four holes instead of only two in this 234-9041 part) so I asked him again that are you sure this is the correct part and he said he is obsolutely sure. So I put this 234-9041 part and drove for a week and even tried removing negative battery but check engine sign did not go away. I then referred to this forum and greg39 user had the same issue so I went and got DENSO part 234-9010 and bingo....that did the trick. I had to remove negative battery for a few seconds and it still had a sign but after turn off the engine and turn back on and check engine sign was gone. This was the Bank 1 Sensor 1 which is located in the front manifold. You just have to remove cover from the manifold and it is right there. I had to borrow the tool from AutoZone and you can return it without any charge.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Default continued MIL/CEL problems with 2003 Camry XLE

Originally Posted by dudhpak
Thank you very much for this forum and specifically greg39 user who helped me solve the problem I was having on my Camry 2003 LE 4 Cyl (2.4 liter engine). First I was not sure if I should use California part or US one as my my car has this written under the hood "This Vehicle Conforms to U.S. EPA NLEV regulations applicable to gasoline-fueled 2003 model year new ULEV passenger cars and to California regulations application to 2003 model year New ULEV passanger cars" so when I took it to AutoZone, they gave me DENSO part 234-9041 which look different than what I have on my Camry (with four holes instead of only two in this 234-9041 part) so I asked him again that are you sure this is the correct part and he said he is obsolutely sure. So I put this 234-9041 part and drove for a week and even tried removing negative battery but check engine sign did not go away. I then referred to this forum and greg39 user had the same issue so I went and got DENSO part 234-9010 and bingo....that did the trick. I had to remove negative battery for a few seconds and it still had a sign but after turn off the engine and turn back on and check engine sign was gone. This was the Bank 1 Sensor 1 which is located in the front manifold. You just have to remove cover from the manifold and it is right there. I had to borrow the tool from AutoZone and you can return it without any charge.
Ran into similar issues with our 2003 Camry XLE (I-4) and P0031 code. Was working with service dealer and folks from Advance Auto Parts.
Dealer provided Toyota P/N and $$$ price. AAP hashed Toyota P/N to Denso 234-9041 and installed it. MIL/CEL went off briefly, but returned in a few minutes.

Evidently AAP (and most other shops) will no longer reset CEL/MIL indicators, I was told.

Found this reset procedure on-line at Check Engine Light Toyota Camry - T3 Atlanta

Reset Check Engine Light Toyota Camry

If you need to reset your check engine light following these steps should work:
  1. Locate the fuse panel cover under the steering column. Pull down on it with your fingers to remove it.
  2. Examine the diagram on the fuse panel cover and find the electronic control unit fuse.
  3. Remove the fuse puller from inside the fuse panel and use it to pull the fuse out for the electronic control unit.
  4. Put the key into the ignition and turn on the car but don’t turn over the engine. Wait a few minutes then put the fuse back in place. You should notice the check engine light blinking a few times on the instrument panel, then it will go off.
  5. Turn off the engine and replace the fuse panel cover.
Tried the above, but was not able to fix it
- Fuse panel cover is under the hood on left (driver) side.
- From the owners manual, there are several fuses that seem to be related to the ECU

Any additional info/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Manuel

Old 11-25-2019, 08:23 AM
Thumbs up Thanks to this tread - I cleared P0031 - 234-9010

thanks Greg39!! and others....very frustrating...03 camry inline 2.4 liter engine, see photo for vehicle emmission model number circled in blue.
  • first, i would recommend you take a picture of the 02 air fuel sensor when you remove it so when your searching for a new one you can find the identical one you need. i have spent money on various versions that fit but were not correct. Yes you can do this...just frustrating, do your research fist
  • call the dealer to find out the part number, use denso (OEM) and get the correct one. my case it was 03 camry...(even after you have the part number, double check the net to make sure because this part has many versions and varieties and easy to confuse to employees will sometimes give you the first part number they come up with (thats what happened to me)
  • read the forums if your not sure of the correct air fuel sensor. we checked fuses, wiring, etc and P0031 was still coming up i had on a 234-9041 air fuel sensor...these are $100. so it would be nice to get it right the first time...
  • Finally, once correct, write it down the Denso part# 234-9010 and date on my maintenance record for future...provide feedback to forums like i have to help those in the future...this is frustrating, did i mention that.

03 camry inline 2.4 liter...notice 2AZ-FE when identifying engine for new 02 air fuel sensor