General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

funky electrical failure

Old 09-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Default funky electrical failure

I have a 1994 Camry LE with the 2.2. I have had a complete failure of the tach, speedo, gauges, blower fan, etc. The weirdest, is the starter actually tried to turn after I turned off the car and removed the key. It all started a couple of days ago, when the "R" shift indicator would come on when I hit the brake pedal. Also the car is not shifting properly. Since these tran. shift electronically, I assume this is related. Is there a major terminal block in the shifter assembly? or is it a relay perhaps? I would appreciate any thoughts.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Default RE: funky electrical failure

Hmm, this sounds like a tough one possibly. I would start by looking for large bulky connectors and hoping that it's loose, corroded, etc...something obvious.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

There may be a couple of problems.

Check the wiring harness in the trunk where it jumps for the chassis to the trunk lid. Often the wiring in this area becomes damaged, the result is power may be feed from the brake system to the reverse light system. Determine if both brake lights and reverse lights are working OK.

The loss of power and starter working after key removal could be due to a diffective ign switch.

The ign switch has two seperate circuits, one to turn on the starter, the other to turn on the items you listed.

Does the gear shift indicator lights on the dash correspond with the actual gear selected. There is a switch behind the shift lever on the trans that move with the lever. This provides the output for the indicator lights and also lets the trans know what gear has been selected.

Is the O/D light blinking (O/D switch on)?

Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 PM

first tihing i'd say is check the fuse box
K I S S
e t i t
e m u
p p p
l i
e d