General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

glove box noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know.

Have you experimented such as driving with box open, locked, key in lock, placing something heavy in the box, etc.

If you remove box, check for missing rubber insulators (broken off) that keep box away from chassis.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:32 PM

I have driven with box open, noise still there, don't have spare key. 2 rubber stoppers on top-do u know how many there should be? Heavy object in box could be a good idea, will try it. Lookn into a new region now, the lower hinge along the bottom-tight space- any ideas on wht to lube this with?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Try installing anything that fits into the lock, even a bent paper clip.

Don't know how many total stoppers there are.

Have you tried removing the box? Look for screws around the door box frame is. The reset switch must unplug or some other easy way. If unplugging, disconnect battery and wait 90's. If driving reconnect switch and then battery.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 AM

I have put a tooth pic in the lock, not much help, I no longer think it's the lock. Padded light area and rt. hinge-better for a few days now. I decided not to take box out only ck the tightness of screws-no problem there.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yours isn't the first Camry with this problem. Can inquire at dealer who most likely had other complaints. If candidly approached, they may state it is this or that issue.

If no help and the issue is still annoying might remove box and inspect for missing rubber spacers or anything else wrong. Could try stuffing small towels up behind the box area to keep box from moving, then determine what happens. If the noise goes away, then the box is moving and the goal is to find out why.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Default Bringing Thread Back

My wife's 2017 Camry is doing this exact sound... I have appointment to take in but would be nice to have some answers incase they can't make the sound happen..
Any info would be great.. Thanks

Old 12-31-2017, 12:02 PM
Default box noise

that post was about the noise coming from the lock, I stuck a tooth pick in it -no help, i did notice it being better for a while after oiling it. I ended up shoring it up with a thin slice of rubber slipped it under the lock. Must of just been vibrations-that got it & its been a while now.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Default my solution?

Bought 2017 Camry in June here in AZ. Did not notice rattle at first but as the "colder" weather has come, I definitely notice it and it bugs the heck out of me. I hear it more often than not but not all the time. It is more noticeable on a bumpier road. If I press on the glove box or the trim piece above the glovebox, it pretty much goes away. I tried lining the glovebox latch receptacle with some thin carpet tape, thinking that the glovebox was too loose where it latches, but that did not work. I took it in for 5K maintenance and told dealer about it.....they said they found a loose screw lying on top of the cabin filter and when they took it out, the rattle was gone. It took me 10 seconds to find out the rattle was NOT gone. Went back and they told me they would have to take dash apart, which I hesitated to do for fear that R&R the dash could probably make something worse, so I took the car home to think about it. Yesterday I cut out 3 rubber squares approx 1 inch square (the rubber is about 1/16 inch thick) and slipped the rubber into the gap at the bottom of the trim piece above the glovebox (the glovebox is open while I did this). I put one piece of rubber near the left end of the trim, one near the middle, and one near the right end. Needed to open the gap a little with fingers only (did not want to break the trim). I am going to try to attach a photo which just shows a sample of the rubber (the piece in the photo is longer than what I actually used). So far, so good (its been one day). Good luck to everyone! Hope this is helpful.

Attached Thumbnails glove box noise-img_2131.jpg  
Old 01-07-2018, 04:08 PM

sorry, not sure why photo is upside down. My original is not.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with the detailed post.

Older Camry had the box hitting the dash due to the lack of spacers. The dealers where typically tone deaf for hearing the noise.