General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Default Hard steering

Hello new guy here. I’ve been checking in from time to time and it looks to be a great forum.

I have an issue with hard steering. I own a Camry I bought new in 94 and have developed a steering problem.

I find it intermittently hard to steer left or right and I have to manually turn the steering wheel back to center after a turn. When I’m driving straight or changing lanes on the expressway it steers as should. The belt doesn’t sequel, has proper tension, and is in good overall shape. The power steering reservoir is full with no leaks. I removed the two front wheels and checked the steering components and nothing seems to be binding or leaking.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Default RE: Hard steering

If you have determinedthere is no binding in the ball joints or tie rod ends then I would say the steering rack is the problem. It does not sound like a pump pressure issue. The car is a 94 so chances are good the rack is worn. I'm surprised there are no leaks. Iwouldwait for a couple more opinions and if concurred buy a replacement rack. There are some web based rebuilderswho will take your old one as a core credit and send you a rebuilt with warranty. Shop around. Get one that includes tie rod ends as well. Replacing the rack is not too hard and if you follow the instructions in the Haynes manual you will be fine. I would also get a steering alignment after installing the new one. Pay attention to getting the wheels and steering wheel in the same position as before removal. I'd also flush the old fluid when replacing the rack.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Default RE: Hard steering

Thanks for the reply and all the good info pedro, The car has 162,000 miles and I don’t recall adding P/S fluid to the reservoir in the last 4 years and it hasn’t dropped any. I have never flushed out the fluid so I will try that to see if there is any improvement. I will post results. Again, thanks.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 PM

I have the same problem with my 94 camry but it turns normal when its wet. Been to 2 shops they say im nuts.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

The pump has a valve that can stick. When this happens the steering wheel becomes impossible or hard to turn. Have had success with replacing all the PS fluid.