General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help needed!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 AM
Default Help needed!!!!!!!!!!

first off, i dont own a camry..i'm here for help, advise, and troubleshoot for my gf moms camry...second i've search and found threads about replacing and cleaning the egr valve and the vsv..third most of the areas i go into whether it's DIY, general section, etc have nothing bout idoits selling stupid stuff that has nothing to do with the car itself....im not here to hate but that's all i've seen..so here is the story so far..i've did a tune up on the car with new o2's and egr valve, and just waiting on the vsv...i'm having a code for the egr switch valve so i decided since i'm working on emission i minus will replace what is important and don't have to deal with it later...question is where is the ECU or ECM located in the car...how do i jump the codes and reset the whole computer without a code reader...

Old 11-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately this site has been inundated with spam. For this blame the site owners (Internet Brands) whom are failing to take any action. I doubt if they receive any income from this spam, just lack of attention on their part.

For a well moderated site, try Toyotanation.

As to you questions:

What year and engine model is this car, 4 cylinder or V6? This would determine how to read the codes, if not using a code reader was possible, reset codes, etc.

What is the code number?

The ECU would be located behind the glove box. The computer does not have a reset button. Reset is done by other means.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 PM

will i am sorry if it offends some of you members but that was my first intention of the forum...the car is a 97 camry and is a 4 cylinder...and for the codes i don't know cause my gf mom took it to the smog shop and they diagnose the car cause the check engine light was on and gave her a note that it was the downstream o2 and the egr valve switch (vsv)...that's all i know so far from her...now i'm just fixing the car with my sight, ears, hands, and knowlegde

Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Not offended, just stating the current situation. Alas the site owners are not interested in taking action.

You may be able to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery or removing the EFI fuse for 10 seconds.

The downstream sensor is after the catalytic converter.

The VSV for the EGR is behind the engine. Follow a small rubber vacuum hose from the EGR valve to the VSV. It's made of plastic, has 2 vacuum hoses attached and 2 wires running to it.

The AutoZone website at www.autozone.com has a great deal of specific car repair info in the sites vehicle repair guide section. You will need to sign up to use this but it is free.

To read any codes requires a ODBII code reader. Suggest you start checking around at autoparts stores, many stores such as AutoZone will read the codes for free or loan you a reader.

Code readers can typically be rented, some are very low cost. Cheaper then the diagnostic fee at a repair shop.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 PM

how do i go about removing the VSV...i just got done looking for it and notice that the motor mount and axle is in front of it...i know there is a screw holding it but do i need to remove the axle to get to it...if so it's going to be a b*t%H moving it...