General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I believe I have alternator issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Default I believe I have alternator issues.

I Went to start my 2002 toyota camry this morning, and the battery was dead. I got a boost from AMA, and started driving as he instructed me to let it run for 30-60 mins. I got about ten feet from my drive way and my car died while I was in drive. I had to get another boost to get it on my driveway. Does it sound like my alternator is toast? any help or advice is appreciated thank you!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Is the alternator light on?

It could the alternator. The boost allowed the engine to start but a non-working alternator could not charge it as advised by AMA. The engine quit after the AMA boost charge was exhausted.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:55 AM

for me, it sounds the alternator... I have same problem a long time ago and its yes the alternator... I allow my brother to fix it.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 AM

Your professional AMA start assistance man should have looked at your alternator indicator light before telling you to run it for an hour...
his advice would be typical for a run down battery in an otherwise OK charging system.

So look at Battery 1st, alternator 2nd - based on what little you posted.
Either fix is not complicated, but gets your hands dirty.
If you don't know how to proceed, go to an auto parts store for advice.
Sometimes the workers freelance after hours and could install the part for cheap. Just saying.

FWIW - I once had a 1 yr old battery catastrophically fail in that same way at a fuel stop;
I could get engine jump started but it would die within seconds. New battery solved it (free under warranty).