General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Default Ignition problem

I have a 1994 Camry LE 2.2. I recently changed the starter because from time to time it would not start or make any noise and tapping the starter helped every time.

Now with the new starter I experienced the same problem. Namely, when I turn the ignition key nothing happens. The radio works, the clock dims (when ignition is turned) but no noise comes from the starter and of course the engine does not turn.

Tapping the new starter does not help. It will, however, start in neutral. I just realized this, so I will try it again next time.

From reading other threads it seems likely that the problem is the Neutral Safety Switch. Am I right in this diagnosis? Are there any good ways to make sure that this is in fact the problem? How do I replace the Safety Switch.

Thanks
Roman

Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 PM

The neutral safety switch is located on the transmission. Just follow the shift cable to the transmission and you'll see it where it attaches to the shift lever. You may not need to replace the switch- you should try adjusting it first. A maladjusted switch may "think" you are still in reverse- preventing starter engagement. Good luck!

JJ

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks Joel. I think I found the switch, but I am kind of a novice. Can you give me a little more detail on how to adjust the switch? It seemed like all the wires were in tact and the bolts holding it down were tight. Do I need to take it off and look inside? How would I know if it is not adjusted correctly?

Thanks
R

Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 AM

The switch itself can pivot slightly. Have an assistant shift from Park to Drive and back to Park and take note of the direction the lever moves. Now that you know what position P is at the switch (based on where the lever moves)- What you need to do is adjust the switch so the P is engaged further by the lever. It shouldn't need that much of a movement in the right direction to get it there.

JJ