General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumps out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Default Jumps out of gear

I have a 97 Camry (4) cylinder auto. and it does not really click when you put it in gear and sometimes jumps to neutral when driving which if you pull back on the gear selector can continue on. By a quick search I see that there is a cable that controls this that sometimes breaks. Question is do you have to take console off top to get at it or do you get at it from the bottom and is it fairly easy to replace? Gonna look at it this morning any replys will be greatly appreciated. Thank-You

Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Before digging into the console, check if the cable is broken.

The typical break location is at the transmission shift arm where the actual round cable connects to the end fitting. This fitting then bolts to the shift arm.

Move the gear shifter in the car while someone watches the trans shift arm for proper movement.

When the cable breaks the result is trans gear selection is no longer possible. Moving the gear shift lever inside the car would not result in any gear change.

The trans shift arm system has an internal detent mechanism to hold the arm in the located selected (gear selected).

If the gear shift lever inside the car is moving on its own, the issue may be the shift arm system detent system inside the trans may have failed. To test unbolt the shift cable at the shift arm and attempt to move the arm.

When moved the arm should stop at each gear location as the detent system works. If you are able to move the arm without resistance at each gear location the detent mechanism is broken. You can access the detent system by removing the trans oil pan.

As to the cable you need to remove the console to access where the cable is connected to the gear shift lever. The job is fairly easy, cables are expensive.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Cable is not broke at trans case. I did not take off at trans yet because problem seems to be inside cabin with gear select mechanism. I have it kind of apart but cannot get the plastic box around the selector stem to lift up to get a better peak in there or to see where cable attaches at gearshift stem. Will keep trying.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

See private message.