General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my 95 2.2cyl transmission blown or fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:22 AM

welcome to the forums mrgumby

Old 04-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Well some people like Toyota, some like Nissan, I would be fine with a Jasper warranty, but other than that, only OEM will do.
Been through the lower priced engines...most being assembled by a stoned 23 year old fresh out of wyoming tech, with no clue why is following the steps laid out for him. ***Puff...did I remember the sealant on the rear of the pan? ***Puff Puff, did I torque the head properly? Puff Puff Puff, did I put the bearings in correctly?
99% of the JDM engines are under 60K. For those who do not know, Japan makes it harder to keep an older car. They rarely keep one past the 50K mark because of the strict inspection policy and increasing cost of same as it gets older. There are SO MANY cars being cut up, the Japanese folks have no reason to send a bad one to the US for resale. Does not fit with their way of doing business. I have been doing this stuff since 14 years of age...I am 47 now...and I would take a factory engine with 50K on it over any rebuild not sold through the OEM parts counter.
What you say is true. If you KNOW a rebuilder. Not if you MET a rebuilder and heard someone say he was good. You mean a relationship with the rebuilder. One a shade tree does not have, since he might come back in 5 years for another one. The shop tends not to take care of those people nearly as well as a retail shop who buys 20 engines a year.
Funny you say that you would only rebuild a used engine. Again, great idea for a shop...but for the kid with a 185,000 mile Camry, to get 5 years on an engine for 1,300 total cost is a lot better than paying for a maybe rebuild that will run him three times that.
Sometimes, a used engine is the best option.
Not trying to beat a hornets nest...but your advice works for a shop...not so much for a private guy with a winch hanging from the famous tree branch.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by dirty hands
welcome to the forums mrgumby
Actually, I have been here forever.
Or...its older rendition.
My account got killed after the forums went offline for a while.

Thanks for the invite though!!

Last edited by mrgumby; 04-25-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

I don't dispute anything that you have said. I would expect the kid with the aged car to go for the lowest cost. I also agree that OEM is best. My point was that if I was going to put in a used engine in my car, I would rebuild it first. I have rebuilt a few engines in my time and I would rather know that it was alright before getting it all installed rather than find out it has spun a bearing or the rings are toast and I just wasted a bunch of time/money.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Thumbs up

It sounds like it was probably a good thing this happened to you. With the brown transmission fluid color, it was due for a good Transmission fluid change. A lot of people completely forget about that transmission fluid....

Originally Posted by puffswami
Cause of Problem: Didn't throw a rod rather it was trans fluid that sprayed across the engine due to hose coming loose.

Front Engine Mount - Broke causing the engine to shudder this in turn caused the transmission line (rubber hose) to come loose which resulted in spraying the engine with transmission fluid. The transmission fluid was brown in color so I thought it was oil.

Exhaust Pipe - about a 12 inches of exhaust pipe broke off at the front of the car due to the engine vibration. This was not fixed.

Estimate: 1 hour labor + $150 in parts (hose, new Engine Mount, trans fluid, oil change, shop supplies) + tax = $260.00