General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help fast!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Angry Need help fast!

I'm new to this forum so please don't hate me. I have a 1996 Toyota Camry. I have a problem with it though. I can't shift out of park without overriding it with a key, my windows, heat, and my speedometer and other gauges don't work. My airbag light is flashing and doesn't stop, I tired googling the code and nothing pops up.Whenever the airbag light is on, my gauge fuse blows so I can't see how fast I am going. Again, when it blows all my car electronic's stop working besides my radio. It's the middle of winter and I'm trying to wait until spring to get a new car. I put a 7.5 fuse in the gauge fuse slot and it stopped the airbag light for awhile but the light came back on and is blinking. I don't know if it was dumb luck but I have tried putting a 5, 10, 15, and a 20 and they all blow. It's making it real hard to drive. What should I do? I need to figure out how to get the airbag light off, get my gauges back running, my heat going again, and fixing the shifter. I do not know much about cars at all, so please explain to me what I need to do. Thank you

Last edited by AlphaMailHD; 12-06-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Did you read out the SRS codes?

Suggest first finding out what is causing the gauge fuse to blow.

There could be a wiring short.

The gauge fuse powers the following below. Obtain a few 7.5 amp fuses. Find out if any of the below when activated cause the fuse to blow.

ABS/traction control
Backup light
Charging circuit
Dash gauges, etc.
Cruise control
Door lock control
Transmission and dash trans gear indicator lights
ECM. If car runs, this should not be a problem.
Headlights if having daytime running lights
Key reminder/seat belt warning
Headlight auto turn off
Moon roof
Power windows
Stop lights
Taillights
Heater
A/C

A few known issues:

The brake and tail light wiring incorporates a blown bulb sensor. The sensor can fail in a way that causes the gauge fuse to blow.
The fuse would blow when the tail lights are on or brake is used. Determine if either usage blows the fuse.

The wire harness going between the chassis and trunk lid can fail due to excess flexing. One result can be a chassis short or two wires touching. The result can be a blown gauge fuse when the backup or upper tail light (connects to other brake lights) are powered. Inspect the wiring in this area.

The backup lights are powered when the gear shift lever is moved to R or through R in going D. Determine if the fuse blows when doing this.

The wiring between the drivers door and chassis can fail due to flexing. If a wiring problem, using an item controlled by a drivers door switch could blow this fuse.

There is an electrical switch on the transmission shift arm located on the trans. This arm on this switch moves with the gear shift lever. It turns on the correct dash gear indicator light and back up lights. The switch can short out due to a metal part breaking loose inside. Determine if using the shifter causes a blown fuse.

When doing the above testing, the ign switch may need to be on to power the circuits. The brake light circuit is always powered, ign switch on or off.